never give up on those eggs!

Dr O

Veterinarian
this clutch laid on 3/31/12 began hatching out on 2/10/13. just over 20 came out very quickly and within three days they were all done.

except three eggs. they never shrank nor sweated, mildewed or melted. they candled promisingly, but there they sat, 12 months, 13 months, 14 months, and now 15 months later this robust little boy finally took his turn and decided he had slept enough (chameleon after my own heart). and the other two? well, i’ll update as needed. all his siblings are 3 ½ months old now but on very different diets and very different cages.:p

anyone want to start a pool on the last two?

P1070808_zps49547cc1.jpg

That's amazing and you must have the patience of a saint! My guess is that the last 2 hatch out by July 20th, though I have absolutely nothing to base that on. :D

WOW - I am glad you gave them the time - some of us just take longer to do things :p what a cute little one - I will guess July 4th for one egg, and the 9 for the other- :rolleyes:

Congrats!

Ive always love carpet chammies.

So, any ideas what takes the eggs so long to hatch after the others did?

Daddyyyyyy I want outtttt. The way he was yelling, I
thought that was what I heard up here.:rolleyes:He has strong lungs and the rest of him is also perfect.

I will let you know when the other 2 start yelling so you will be ready. Congrats.

Congrats!

Ive always love carpet chammies.

So, any ideas what takes the eggs so long to hatch after the others did?

they’re panthers; not carpets. did i put carpets somewhere?

actually i have several clutches that are “overdue”, but as i’m not replicating Madagascar environs to a T, it doesn’t surprise me. what is a good lesson in this situation however is that they were all being incubated in a 71°closet. 2 weeks ago i found another closet that holds at 73.5° most of the time and moved about 20 incubating clutches in there. 2 weeks later, and three of those clutches are now hatching out (again, all panthers). One was laid 5/18/12 (13+ months), and the other is more in line with an 8/29 date (9 months).

i expect the next few months i will be living in Hatchling City! i’m going to have a lot more going on at the Daytona show than i expected!! don’t forget to come and see myself and Olimpia there; she is being her sweet self and coming up to help me at the show. Public thank you again, Olimpia!! :):):)

That's amazing and you must have the patience of a saint!

i do; comes from being raised with one older sister and my mom who took me shoe shopping my entire life. either you develop that patience, or you start madly running around the store stabbing at people with high heel shoes. :D

boom and boom!! yesterday #2, and today finally #3. there is another clutch hatching w/ the same parents, overdue as well at 14 months. interesting to note that in the first few days these long incubators obviously had more mass to their bodies as compared to the second clutch, but within a few days they pretty much equaled out in size. no clue why 20 of their siblings came out 4 months ago but these three waited it out til now.

it is going absolutely nuts here! I have five clutches actively hatching out, 2 Bacchus ambi's with 2 different females, sambavas, and sambilobes. about 40 out and 80 shrinking/sweating/pipped. and yesterday I found 3 more clutches that look like they're going to pop in the next few weeks.

I LOVE watching these babies!! all these side by side hatchling cages with so much activity going on!

the difference between size, color, activity and appetite levels between the overdue and on-time clutches is staggering. unfortunately they're in lousy cages for photography, though great cages for them. I'll try and pull some representatives for some photos later.

well, staggering in terms of hatchling sizes. had they been on time they would be 4-6 months old and they're not THAT big!

Back
Top Bottom