Nervous Panther chameleon

Fabled92

Hi All,

I'd like toask your advise regarding my new 5 month old panther chameleon.
I just bought him (Ambilobe Venom Green) aprox a month ago when he was 4 month old and wondering if its normal that he is so nervous even after weeks / month with me ? He is not accepting any food from the mug if its in my hand (only very rarely 1 piece of cricket), and he is barely eating if I'm close to the terrarium. Of course during the day if I'm getting close to the terrarium he act like a leaf and trying to "escape"towards the top if I'm a bit farther. To get use to humans each day I took him out for 10-20 minutes but in hand he is acting also crazy, try to run as far from me as far he can or climb into my back of my neck and then down towards my waist :D

Before he I had a female Chamaeleo that I raised since she was 4 weeks old and was more calm. She even come to my hand when I prepared the food mug.

What do you think the little panther will be more calm after some month or this is simply his nature that he does not like me ? :)

Remember all animals have theur own personality. I havent had any panthers but my vieled calms down when i hum or sing to him. Your little cham is fearful so i suggest you take it real slow and do not force the issue. Taking him out everyday may be too stressful. Instead of handling him, maybe take him out and let him climb from you to someplace high like a curtain. Then he can sit and watch you. Keep a close eye but ignore him. After a while he will realize you are not out to hurt him. Doing this daily so soon is keeping him in a fearful state. When you do hold him, try sitting and covering him with a towel on your chest. It may calm him too. You just have to be patient and move slowly when accessing the cage. Good luck he needs you to give him time to adjust and he will come around.

Hi and welcome to the forums! When I first got my girl sativa, she is a female panther chameleon (Furcifer pardalis) she was very very shy and showed what you described as well. She never ate from her bowl, even tong feeding was hard. I would have a specific branch / place I would put the insect so she can she it and kinda hunt it down. She wouldn’t eat when I was watching her or around her cage. I would have to step around the corner and watch her eat lol! And like said above every chameleon is different, my piebald vield chameleon is very very adventurous, she will crawl on anything that can be climbed! But you have to understand that not all chameleons react the same way to certain situations. Most know for this is handling your chameleon. Every chameleon will have a limit to where you can handle them and how comfortable they are with you. Just give her more time and be prepared to live with her personality if she doesn’t change

Milly eating a hornworm for some hydration 🦎🦎
39B3B67C-A278-4923-AA9F-A1D0049BEA5F.jpeg

sativa my shy girl looking at that juice hornworm, she was very scared of them at first actually 😂
95665FA2-71CB-4C50-95D4-ACB5BFB2F34B.jpeg

Hi and welcome to the forums! When I first got my girl sativa, she is a female panther chameleon (Furcifer pardalis) she was very very shy and showed what you described as well. She never ate from her bowl, even tong feeding was hard. I would have a specific branch / place I would put the insect so she can she it and kinda hunt it down. She wouldn’t eat when I was watching her or around her cage. I would have to step around the corner and watch her eat lol! And like said above every chameleon is different, my piebald vield chameleon is very very adventurous, she will crawl on anything that can be climbed! But you have to understand that not all chameleons react the same way to certain situations. Most know for this is handling your chameleon. Every chameleon will have a limit to where you can handle them and how comfortable they are with you. Just give her more time and be prepared to live with her personality if she doesn’t change

Milly eating a hornworm for some hydration 🦎🦎
View attachment 311477

sativa my shy girl looking at that juice hornworm, she was very scared of them at first actually 😂
View attachment 311478
Omg your girls are precious♡♡

Hi All,

I just bought him (Ambilobe Venom Green) aprox a month ago when he was 4 month old and wondering if its normal that he is so nervous even after weeks / month with me ? He is not accepting any food from the mug if its in my hand (only very rarely 1 piece of cricket), and he is barely eating if I'm close to the terrarium. Of course during the day if I'm getting close to the terrarium he act like a leaf and trying to "escape"towards the top if I'm a bit farther. To get use to humans each day I took him out for 10-20 minutes but in hand he is acting also crazy, try to run as far from me as far he can or climb into my back of my neck and then down towards my waist :D

Before he I had a female Chamaeleo that I raised since she was 4 weeks old and was more calm. She even come to my hand when I prepared the food mug.

What do you think the little panther will be more calm after some month or this is simply his nature that he does not like me ? :)
I agree. Daily holding is probably to much stress honestly. But chameleons are shy eaters & drinkers. It's normal that he's nervous. It may take a while. Or maybe he'll always be shy. Every chameleon is different. Hang in there ♡

Hi All,

if he's only been with you for a month he may still be adjusting.
Is his cage in an area that he sees you frequently? or does he only see you when you try to interact with him? (having him somewhere he can observe you for a while can help reassure him you're not a threat)

Be patient though, he may come around eventually. Some of my chillest ambilobe males were very skittish & mean when they were younger so there's always hope!

Back
Top Bottom