Need veiled chameleon info!

BubbaVeiled

Hey so I'm brand new to this site, and yet to get my first chameleon. I have always wanted one, but have held off because theyre expensive and specific. I have finally taken the plunge though and am almost ready to have one. I accidentally bought the reptibreeze "chameleon kit" (many regrets. Am going to try and resell everything except the heat dome and thermometer with the probe). Anyways, I had a couple of things I was unsure about. I am going to get a male veiled chameleon. I live in a really humid area, and my hygrometer currently says my room is between 40 and 50% humidity. I have no set up the terrarium or started misting anything yet, this is just base humidity for where I live I guess. I suppose my question would have to be
-What is the recommended humidity level for male veiled chameleons?

-Generally speaking, how much does misting increase humidity?

-Does it matter if they get over humid for an hour or two?

-I plan on putting shower liner on the walls of my terrarium so I dont get my walls wet. Will this make it too humid for him in the cage?

Thanks in advance, I am really looking forward to getting a little chameleon guy! I should have everything ready for it within the next week or so and am very excited!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Don't own yet
  • Handling -
  • Feeding -
  • Supplements -
  • Watering -
  • Fecal Description -
  • History -

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24x24x48 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - T5 HO 5.0 UVB lamp and light. 34" bulb. Still waiting for it to arrive
  • Temperature - 50 Watt reptibreeze chameleon kit bulb (Im going to swap it out for a white light home bulb when I get the chameleon) The basking spot is 85. Will probably lower the branch a bit to get it to about 82.
  • Humidity - My ambient room humidity (Not even in the enclosure, havent even set it up or misted anything yet) Is usually between 40-50%
  • Plants - A lot of fake silk ivy, exoterra vine, and one pathos plant (Will get more live plants in the future)
  • Placement - In my room. The shelf its on is about 3 feet tall, so the top of the enclosure is probably about 7 feet off the ground or so. It is next to a window I usually keep closed, and I usually have a fan going in the room.
  • Location - Augusta, Georgia

Current Problem - I am wondering if the room will get too humid? Also wondering how much more humid the cage gets during a standard misting. I am also wondering if it is okay for a chameleon to have a little over 50% humidity for an hour or two and it still be okay. I am also wondering how much humidity is normal for a veiled male chameleon.

I went the route of the shower curtain around the reptibreeze and I’ll tell you its probably easier if you get the stuff you winterize your windows with. It’s like shrink wrap plastic and you use a hair dryer to shrink it to the window frame only you would shrink wrap it to the reptibreeze when the Cham is NOT in it. I’m not good at giving links to things because I don’t know how to do it but I’m sure someone else here can give you the link.

Welcome to the forum. It's great that you have the enthusiasm, but your question about humidity levels for a male veiled chameleon suggests your knowledge base could be better. Don't take that as criticism; we all started out as neophytes at one time or another.

If you peruse the Husbandry Program at Chameleon Academy, you should be in good shape by the time you're ready.

Also very informative are the series of videos on YT by Neptune the Chameleon.

Yeah I figured it was 50% but just wanted to make sure. Also, thanks for the husbandry program link. I had no idea it existed! I'm definitely going to go through that entire thing. I've seen all of Neptunes videos. Theyre probably the most informative chameleon vids i've seen so far lol

Hey so I'm brand new to this site, and yet to get my first chameleon. I have always wanted one, but have held off because theyre expensive and specific. I have finally taken the plunge though and am almost ready to have one. I accidentally bought the reptibreeze "chameleon kit" (many regrets. Am going to try and resell everything except the heat dome and thermometer with the probe). Anyways, I had a couple of things I was unsure about. I am going to get a male veiled chameleon. I live in a really humid area, and my hygrometer currently says my room is between 40 and 50% humidity. I have no set up the terrarium or started misting anything yet, this is just base humidity for where I live I guess. I suppose my question would have to be
-What is the recommended humidity level for male veiled chameleons?

-Generally speaking, how much does misting increase humidity?

-Does it matter if they get over humid for an hour or two?

-I plan on putting shower liner on the walls of my terrarium so I dont get my walls wet. Will this make it too humid for him in the cage?

Thanks in advance, I am really looking forward to getting a little chameleon guy! I should have everything ready for it within the next week or so and am very excited!
So, please fill out the form others have requested. My quick and dirty answer is that there appears to be a lot of support for the view that chameleons—veileds, in particular—benefit from lower daytime humidity (under 40%), and almost 100% humidity overnight. I have found that my veileds do really well if they wake up to a moist enclosure with leaves covered in mist. As the day progresses, the enclosure should become progressively drier. A dripper for a few hours in the afternoon is ok for extra hydration. Then, as night approaches, and lights go off, a good misting and either fogging or periodic misting throughout the night will keep them happy.

anyways, there’s a ton of info out there, and I recommend checking out “the chameleon academy,” as well as tapping as many resources as you can. My “big picture” advice is to understand why certain prices of advice are proffered, rather than just accepting the content of the advice. Most people arguing about proper chameleon care are arguing past one another, and actually have a lot more common ground than they care to admit.

Back
Top Bottom