Need to improve on the starter kit: new vivarium

I got a Pygmy Chameleon starter kit from a supplier, thinking it would be ideal, however after some research here it seems it's not exactly right.

Tank is 18" x 18" x 18" and I have two ladies and a gentleman (Chardonnay, unnamed so far and Trevor)

1) The kit just included tropical substrate (exo terra plantation soil) and I keep reading about different layers of stuff for the ground - what else should I use?

2 There was a waterfall, which I soon discovered is not good so that has gone]

3 lighting = Exo Terra Reptile UVB 25 watt and Exo Terra Sun Glo 25 watt.

Is this too much for them?

4. It came with a thickish branch and plastic plants, I've added some twigs, real plants and a rock. (The male likes to sit behind or on the rock)

5. The Exo Terra mister is a pile of rubbish, it is very hard to get a mist on the plants with a stray stream suddenly shooting out and getting a chameleon.

Attachments

• DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 268
Seems pretty god, i would add higher foliage and branches such as a schefflera but they wont grow in coco fiber as they need a vivarium substrate. Add a pothos too for some pathways. Ive noticed that my pygmy explores everywhere so try to maximize the whole tank. Pygmies will also tend to feel more secure if they have the option to escape into the foliage without being seen.For lighting, im not sure if the sun glow is heat but if it is, get rid of it. Pygmies dont need to bask and like average temps of 70-75F. For uvb, only use a 2.0 or and old 5.0 as no studies prove that pygmies require uvb. For mine, i use a 13 watt CFL and he is fine and so are the plants (plants dont require uvb either). For misting i bough a $5 mister at home depot, its gray and blue and they normally have tons. Dont buy the $1 as it is a pain to use. I normally try to avoid misting him directly as he always gets a bit pissed at me, so i just go around him and slightly get him wet. Make sure to mist about 3 times a day and check the urates to make sure that they are hydrated. Feel free to ask more questions :)

Back
Top Bottom