need to get my temp up..

lisagr07

Avid Member
here is my set up..

867060828_5YCfM-M.jpg

mind you it's for a 10 week old male Veiled Chameleon..so i'm trying to get his basking temp about 80 degrees without using a basking bulb, it's at about 75 for now.....
i have a 16x16x30 screen cage, msitking mister, will be adding a dripping system this weekend... lighting Reptisun 5.0,,, which is about 6" down to the first horizontal/basking branch....i'm thinking i may need to add a second lighting strip, just a plain fluorescent strip bulb, to help get the temp up...
am i thinking right????
the enclosure itself is kinda dark so by adding the second strip light it would be a brighter set up.... plus get the temp up closer to 80...

thanks,, lisa

I use a fixture that holds two bulbs one regular and one UV. The UVB does not put off much heat or light. It only has to be 80 in the top of the cage and after misting it cools down and then heats back up again before the next misting.

I use a fixture that holds two bulbs one regular and one UV. The UVB does not put off much heat or light. It only has to be 80 in the top of the cage and after misting it cools down and then heats back up again before the next misting.

thanks Jann,
i feel sure at this point i'll need to add an additional fluorescent light strip to it to brighten it up and increase the temp a bit...

thanks again,, lisa

Your branches are to close to the top of the cage. You'll want to keep him 6 inches under the light or the top of the screen cage.

Try closing off your ac vent to make your room warmer where you'll be keep the cage.

Your branches are to close to the top of the cage. You'll want to keep him 6 inches under the light or the top of the screen cage.

Try closing off your ac vent to make your room warmer where you'll be keep the cage.

hey beeze,,,
here is a more accurate pic..
872287000_QKLX2-M.jpg

i repotted the plant and redid the vines... they are now 6" from the top basking area to the UV bulb should of posted this pic in the first place... can we say "operator error"??? :)

lisa

If you don't have ac on that you can close (good idea Breeze) then try a 15 or 25 watt light. I use 15 on my chameleons that want to bask but don't need the extra heat.

If you don't have ac on that you can close (good idea Breeze) then try a 15 or 25 watt light. I use 15 on my chameleons that want to bask but don't need the extra heat.

thanks laurie,
i'll probably add an extra low wattage strip light at the top of the cage. i think just a bit more will bump it up to 80.. :)

lisa

me likes ur set up, VERY nice , i still need several items but will have mine for my baby gyrl set up before her arrival; KUDOS on the CRIB

An energy saving fluorescent fitting that produces "daylight" light (6500k bulb that is a 'compact' bulb - don't worry, it's not one that can damage your cham as it doesn't produce UVB) will add a LOT more light than a tube! I've got one over my newest enclosure and it's awesome! It also produces enough heat for your purposes too and will be better for the plant!

An energy saving fluorescent fitting that produces "daylight" light (6500k bulb that is a 'compact' bulb - don't worry, it's not one that can damage your cham as it doesn't produce UVB) will add a LOT more light than a tube! I've got one over my newest enclosure and it's awesome! It also produces enough heat for your purposes too and will be better for the plant!

Hey mate, have you got any pics or links for the light im very intereted in some of these, thanks:)

Here you go:
http://www.johnlewis.com/230942670/Product.aspx?source=14798
That's the one I'm using!

That's just an example of where to get it from though! You can get them at homebase/B&Q etc. They only supply the "daylight" ones with a bayonet fitting so make sure you have the right one (I bought a cheap ceiling holder and made my own!). Make sure its the daylight version though!

I couldn't find any in B&Q that had 6500k or Daylight on them, so i went to pet shop and bought one of these http://www.petclubuk.com/kelkoo.do?id=2055

Wish you'd posted that link yesterday lol I could of picked one of them up no problem, and for a fraction of the cost :(

This light looks good though, and my cham has really seemed to brighten up too, maybe my imagination as he went into his new cage earlier today. :D

me likes ur set up, VERY nice , i still need several items but will have mine for my baby gyrl set up before her arrival; KUDOS on the CRIB

thanks gabzzy,,
i'm as excited as everyone else about our Luie and Camille babies that will be arriving the first part of June!!!!
Stanley will be my first and i'm obsessed with having everything right for him!!!! :D

lisa

SliK JiM,,
will that bulb work in this fixture? this is what i have to add a low wattage incandecent bulb too when Stanley is ready for a temp increase...

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...xo-terra-glow-light-porcelain-clamp-lamp.html

lisa

I couldn't find any in B&Q that had 6500k or Daylight on them, so i went to pet shop and bought one of these http://www.petclubuk.com/kelkoo.do?id=2055

Wish you'd posted that link yesterday lol I could of picked one of them up no problem, and for a fraction of the cost :(

This light looks good though, and my cham has really seemed to brighten up too, maybe my imagination as he went into his new cage earlier today. :D

Sorry mate! I did the same thing for my larger enclosure with my yemen in! When that bulb dies I'm definitely going to swap it out for these daylight bulbs! Much better light for plants and chams alike!

SliK JiM,,
will that bulb work in this fixture? this is what i have to add a low wattage incandecent bulb too when Stanley is ready for a temp increase...

http://www.petmountain.com/product/...xo-terra-glow-light-porcelain-clamp-lamp.html

lisa

Sadly not. Unless they're changed, all "glowlights" are ES caps and halogen thus far. If they did a bayonet one, I'd buy it!

Here you go:
http://www.johnlewis.com/230942670/Product.aspx?source=14798
That's the one I'm using!

That's just an example of where to get it from though! You can get them at homebase/B&Q etc. They only supply the "daylight" ones with a bayonet fitting so make sure you have the right one (I bought a cheap ceiling holder and made my own!). Make sure its the daylight version though!

Thanks mate for that, think i will have a hunt for one next weekend,:)

Back
Top Bottom