Need to find male panther a new home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelink14

UPDATE: For some reason I'm not allowed to post a reply (since it's been moved), but I wanted to say that Ambrose has already found a new home. :) Thank you so much for everyone who has sent me messages.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

I have a 15 month old male Ambilobe panther chameleon that I am looking to rehome. This sort of breaks my heart to do so, but I've recently come to the realization that my current life situation and priorities are not compatible with this guy's care needs.

Ambrose started losing his lovely colors last July and has been pale for months now. I have been doing everything in my power to restore it with supplements, new equipment, etc. but nothing helps. This last year I started an off-site job and could no longer be home during the week to put him in the window for some natural sunlight - I think this is what he needs more than anything. I live in an apartment with no balcony, so this is really difficult to manage at this point.

He was born September 14, 2014, and I bought him from the wonderful people at Kammerflage Kreations. He's been a wonderful little guy; very lively and lovely colors in his prime. He's feisty and doesn't prefer to be held, but will tolerate it. He's not completely opposed to being fed from a human hand. ;) I feel a new home would be in his best interest as I hate to see him not thriving.

I am not looking to profit here - I really just want him to go to a great home. I live in Sherman Oaks in Los Angeles, CA and am hoping to adopt him to someone local for free (I don't feel comfortable mailing him or equipment). If any interested parties also want his glut of equipment, I only ask $250 for everything. Adopting him out is the priority, though - I'll likely sell these goods peace-meal otherwise.

His equipment includes the following:
- 24" x 24" x 48" aluminum cage from LLLReptile
- two-bulb light fixture with two basking bulbs
- MistKing automatic misting system (w/ reservoir bucket)
- 24" florescent light hood (for 18" light)
- x2 18" UVB bulbs (brand new - the current one I just replaced last month)
- various climbing vines

Another note about him is that every since I got him as a baby he's had a strange issue with his left eye. It's more recessed than his normal right eye, and it seems to be more sensitive (first thing in the morning it's shut for awhile). I have tried everything to help it - antibiotics, eye drops, humidity adjustment. Nothing seemed to help, but it doesn't affect him other than occasionally impeding his aim.

Here are some photos of Ambrose.

ambrose1.jpg
Ambrose today... good weight and alertness, but very pale. :(

ambrose2.jpg
Ambrose's current setup.

ambrose4.jpg
Ambrose, May 2015

ambrose3.jpg
Ambrose, June 2015

Thank you so much for looking! If you or anyone you know in Southern California is able to give this wonderful little guy a home, I'd be so happy! I want nothing more than for him to have the best life possible. :)

Please PM me, comment here, or send an email to lyjmiller at gmail dot com. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wow that's crazy how he lost his colors like that. Your setup looks good and everything. Did you try to consult a vet about it? I wish I were local and had the space/time. If I hear of anyone in the area looking to adopt, I'll send them your way.

This is quite sad. I don't believe I've ever seen a panther lose its color completely. At his current age, he should be showing his full coloration! I am interested to hear others chime in as to what may be the cause of it all.

Is his heat at least 90 degrees and humidity at least 60%?

Panthers will do perfectly fine with a basking area of 86-90 degrees while Veiled chameleons prefer a temperature of 90-95 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom