need suggestions for new cage!!

KAM3LiiON

Hello!! I just upgraded to a Large repti breeze full screen cage and its for my lil female Jackson's cham. I just wanna know how to maintain heat alil better with out having to cook alive in my apartment lol she is sitting under 100 wat bulb and seems fine but every once in awhile she will climb all the way to the top and sit right under the bulb, she moves away most of the time when she gets to hot but I don't ever want her up there and getting stuck while im at work or something!! any suggestions!?

Hello!

I have my Jackson's male in a large screen cage as well. The goal for chameleons is to have a nice temperature gradient throughout their cage -- having their basking spot the hottest spot at the very top of the cage. I just use a 50 Watt that is raised up about 4 inches from the top of the screen cage. And that maintains a good 82-85 F degree basking spot for my male, only at the top.

Jackson's overall are a chameleon that require cooler temperatures, I feel that a 100watt may be a bit hot for her.

Down near the bottom it gets to about 68 F, which is what my home is usually at.
Near the middle about 73 F.

So you don't necessarily need the temperature to be that high throughout the cage. Try one of those thermometers with a probe to get the temperature at a certain spot in the cage -- your basking spot, the highest area she can get to -- and have that be the highest. :) Hope I helped you!

Here's an idea of what I've got going on. The basking bulb (right) is held up by a clamp and attached to the wall. I do this just in case he does climb on the top screen -- he won't get burned or get too close to the bulb. I love my clamp light :p

UVB to the left, it sits straight on the screen.

2i20rkk.jpg

How did you get those perches!? I need those!!!!

The big wooden one is a huge grape wood, I believe that's what it's called. My cage is made up of that huge hunk of wood, wooden bird perches from PetSmart, repti-vines, live pothos, fake pothos :)

VERY COOL!! mine looks so lame compared to urs!! I did try that fogger tho! I went thru 2 of them cus they kept breaking! so now i mist her quite often lol. I did check the temp on her cage with the 100 watt bulb tho and in her normal day time cool area it sits at 24 degrees Celsius which it totally fine but I need to find those bird perches to set up higher to get that basking spot of 27 to 29 degrees Celsius but i couldn't find that perch with screws in both sides!! so im gonna hit petco tomorrow!!

Ah I wish that perch had screws on both sides! I just got really lucky and it fits perfectly horizontally in my cage. It's the same width. It's kind of wedged in there.

Thank you, regarding my set-up! It took quite awhile and a good amount of money, but he sure seems to like it a lot. I have the fogger run to keep the humidity up in the room, mostly. I was thinking about getting one of those $30 humidifiers from Meijer or Wal-Mart. Though this fogger seems to be doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom