need some quick answers

bugboy

Established Member
well its unfortunate for me to say that my female brevicaudatus passed away some time during the night. as of right now im unsure of what caused her death but i think it may have been impaction due to a closer analysis. a few minutes ago i cut her open and found 2 eggs inside her. even though she is gone, is it possible that the eggs are still able to be saved? i need answers as quick as possible so if they can be saved i can tend to them quickly. the eggs are an off-white color and are pretty hard. any comments appreciated. thanks.

I definitely think it's worth a try to see if they will hatch. There is a reasonable chance that they are fertile (if you have a male.)

Good luck

well its unfortunate for me to say that my female brevicaudatus passed away some time during the night. as of right now im unsure of what caused her death but i think it may have been impaction due to a closer analysis. a few minutes ago i cut her open and found 2 eggs inside her. even though she is gone, is it possible that the eggs are still able to be saved? i need answers as quick as possible so if they can be saved i can tend to them quickly. the eggs are an off-white color and are pretty hard. any comments appreciated. thanks.

One of my brev females died recently, and after examination, she had a big egg in her. Can you describe your setup and husbandry to see if we have anything in common?

Thanks in advance,

Heika

setup is a ten gallon fish tank with coco fiber bedding, small vines everywhere, a large fake plant for cover, 3 live plants, and a large piece of cork on the floor. i feed every other day, keep the light on about 10-12 hours, and i mist twice daily.

What were the temps and humidity like?
Was she housed alone?
Was she wild caught?
What was her weight like? Did she look thin or were her eyes sunk in prior to death?

Take a look at this brev … you don’t get much healthier then this. See how her eyes are nice and full. The area I circled on the back of her skull … was it nice and full or was it sinking in?

I would try and hatch the eggs too.

hbrev.JPG

-roo

temps were mid to low 70's during the day and high 60's to low 70's at night, i spray the tank twice daily to keep humidity up, not sure whether wc or cb, and she didnt look thin to me nor were her eyes sunken in

Well I have read that some females will retain one egg if they are stressed but I don’t think that’s the case here. Death from parasites, IMO is a slow process and they usually lose weight and look dehydrated towards the end. How big were the eggs you pulled? Were they the size of a tic-tac?

-roo

Back
Top Bottom