Need some help with equipment choices for new setup

So this is the light I ended up purchasing...

Oppolite T5 2FT 4-Lamp Grow Light Kit Fluorescent Ho Bulbs 6500K Indoor Horticulture Gardening T5 Grow Lights Fixtures 24W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L6RZ85/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_06UiEb7P6RZ9R

Now The way they have it wired, all four bulbs turn on simultaneously. They are wired individually however and I could run three bulbs in here if I wanted to.

I'm thinking I could remove one of the center bulbs and install one or two medium base sockets in its place as basking lights to have a clean all in one solution.

I was thinking porcelain dual sockets like these....

Dual Bulb Socket, 2 Circuit Porcelain Medium Screw Twin Light Fixture Socket, E26 Double Light Socket with 3pcs 12 inch Leads and 2 threaded brackets (2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5XM1G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_x.UiEb3R2S7NC

My question is....would two bulbs be enough? Would i better off with two singles spread further apart?

Has anyone tried something like that for their cham?

So this is the light I ended up purchasing...

Oppolite T5 2FT 4-Lamp Grow Light Kit Fluorescent Ho Bulbs 6500K Indoor Horticulture Gardening T5 Grow Lights Fixtures 24W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071L6RZ85/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_06UiEb7P6RZ9R

Now The way they have it wired, all four bulbs turn on simultaneously. They are wired individually however and I could run three bulbs in here if I wanted to.

I'm thinking I could remove one of the center bulbs and install one or two medium base sockets in its place as basking lights to have a clean all in one solution.

I was thinking porcelain dual sockets like these....

Dual Bulb Socket, 2 Circuit Porcelain Medium Screw Twin Light Fixture Socket, E26 Double Light Socket with 3pcs 12 inch Leads and 2 threaded brackets (2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5XM1G2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_x.UiEb3R2S7NC

My question is....would two bulbs be enough? Would i better off with two singles spread further apart?

Has anyone tried something like that for their cham?

The big issue I see with that idea is the light really won't fit. Unless you do it horizontal I guess even then, it might not fit. You also would need to modify the reflectors, to reflect that light and then the heat will kill the ballast/ bulbs faster.

Also I am very much a proponent of dimly lit cages. If I were you, I would mount that guy in the center of the cage, and use the Pucks I mentioned behind it.

You could build a bracket off the back, to hold a puck or 2. Than you will have more of a basking zone than a area, which is honestly better. The T5HOs put off quite a bit of heat, the Cham might prefer to just bask under them. Let me get an illustration going for ya, on what I would do.

The pucks seem ok. I am just trying to clean up the top. The dome style heating lights would mean a very deep hood. Xenon concerns me a bit though to be honest.

I even considered installing some halogen recessed lights with a GU-10 bulb for basking.

Thank you for the feedback about an isolated basking zone instead of warming the whole top of the enclosure. That helps!

The pucks seem ok. I am just trying to clean up the top. The dome style heating lights would mean a very deep hood. Xenon concerns me a bit though to be honest.

I even considered installing some halogen recessed lights with a GU-10 bulb for basking.

Thank you for the feedback about an isolated basking zone instead of warming the whole top of the enclosure. That helps!

Well it will warm the entire cage, not the basking bulb, the Quad T5s will. Quad T5s are enough basking light for a couple species from what I have seen.

So if you have quad T5s, then behind that, one or 2 Pucks, you will have a basking gradient.

In that case I would setup multiple branches, for basking. 1 under the Pucks and 1 in the center and 1 in the front outside of the Flos. This provides lots of option, as you will have say for example 93 under pucks, 88 under Flos, and 83 in the front. Just rough numbers as an example.

I have a similar type setup, with my LEDs flanking an Arcadia Deep heat. So the temps directly under the deep heat are 93-95 (depending on the day) to the sides the LEDs raise the temp to 87-93, depending how close to the LEDs he is. My branch is curved upwards on 1 side where it splits into 2.

This gives access to 85 (top level ambient)-95 pretty much at all times, wherever he chooses to bask.

As for fearing the Xeons, ya they spooked me as well, with that UVC output warning. You can get Halogen Pucks as well. They don't have to be the Xeons.

i would use 2 or 3, of the halogen pucks, behind the Flos, you could build a bracket to hold them on the Quad fixture.

Back
Top Bottom