Need some advice for enclosure...

armando

Hi everyone!
Im new at this....
Im planning to buy a couple of veiled chameleons, but first, im trying to get as much information before I do.
I do have tortoises and some other reptiles, so Im really into this, and I know how picky reptiles get to be.
The point is....
I live in Sonora, Mexico.... We have HOT desert weather.
Im planing to buy a 72" high , 29"x29" aluminium reptarium.
Wich will be divided into 2 sections. Each section will have one baby veiled chameleon...(Male and female).
The enclosure will be decorated with natural plants, like pothos, ficus, and some others...
but my biggest concern its the heating....
I wanted to have them outside in a safe and shaded place, but Im concerned that sometimes it gets way too hot.
So... I tought that maybe inside was a better place...
But what worries me... its that my house its equipped with cooling system that keeps it cold and nice in summer.
would that be a big deal?
Would it be better to keep them outside?
any advice?
Thanks a lot everyone!!!

I think keeping them inside in a controlled environment would be best. I don't know exactly how hot it gets there but if it exceeds the max temps for Veilds, best to keep them inside with an air conditioner. Also, make sure that there is a visual barrier between the 2 Chams. They can and will stress one another out if seen. :) Welcome and enjoy your stay at the Cameleon Forums!:D

the hottest temperatures outside in summer its from 40 - 45 Celsius (under shade).
Visual barrier will be placed in the middle, from bottom to top :)
wouldnt it be too cold for them inside? :S

the hottest temperatures outside in summer its from 40 - 45 Celsius (under shade).
Visual barrier will be placed in the middle, from bottom to top :)
wouldnt it be too cold for them inside? :S

Depends on what you have your air conditioner at. If it's too cold, up the wattage on your basking bulb until you reach your desired temp. :)

oh great!
what kind of basking bulb would you recomend to me?
I usually buy supplies from LLLreptile, or amazon... x)

oh great!
what kind of basking bulb would you recomend to me?
I usually buy supplies from LLLreptile, or amazon... x)

For basking, you can use a regular house bulb and just go by wattage. I bought mine at Walmart, 4 for 2 dollars and some change. It's the UVB you'll have to worry about. Make you sure you order a 5.0 Reptisun linear bulb and hood. Have not had any problems with it and neither have others on this forum (as far as I know).

You are welcome. That is why this forum is here!:D

I myself have not used Reptariums but if i'm not mistaking, they are the ones that are made of soft material. I have read stories about Crickets eating through the mesh and getting out. I'd go with a wire screen but also have heard of Chams getting their nails stuck and yanked off. It's really up to you. I have a mesh cage from LLL and it is awesome. Eventually, you will need 2 24x24x48 cages when your babies get to adult size. Females can live in slightly smaller cages but i'm sure she'd appreciate the extra space.

oh! I tought they were made up of aluminum, but now I see they are not.
do you have a picture or a link at lllreptile that will show me the "mesh cage"?
I cant really find it :S
Im thinking about getting the biggest one since the first moment... thats because I dont really like animals being in little spaces, I think thats abusive.

Back
Top Bottom