Need Setup Advice. New Keeper.

Ecledyl

Hi, I'm new to these forums. I have been researching on how to keep Veiled Chameleons and stumbled upon here.

I am planning to purchase a Female Baby V. Cham, but I have questions regarding their setup. The attendant at the reptile specialty store said I would only need to use the ZooMed PowerSun 100W bulb and possibly switch to the 160W once I move her to her permanent home. Also at night, she would not need any nightheat, room temp would be fine. I'm thinking of just buying the 25W Moonlight Nightheat just to be safe though.

I have the 38-Gallon Reptarium (16.5 x 16.5 x 30 Tall) and plan to move her to a self-made 30 x 30 x 70 Tall enclosure.

Been here for a good three hours and been able to get some useful information but nothing really on the PowerSun. I figure if she needs heat she can just climb closer to the light and cooldown by climbing down. The bulb will be at the minimum 12" from the Chameleon at all times as instructed; adjusted accordingly for temperature.

Sorry for writing so much as I'm new here. Any clarifications on this would be great. Just want to make sure I have the correct setup before buying her. Thank you in advance. :)

Good advice Screameleons. I would also say that unless your home's temp drops below 60 at night, no nightheat is required. Save your money to buy a screen cage and reptisum 5.0.

Welcome to the forum and be sure you have read the raising Kitty article before purchasing your lady.

Oh, did you know that females can lay eggs whether or not they are fertile? You will need to be prepared that with a laying bucket of moistened sand as time goes on.

hiya yes the repti sun strip bulb to give of uva/b and n additional heat bulb and reflector to produce the heat and light to bask underneath, or a powersun mercury vapour uva/b bulb gives of heat uva/b and light in one...quite good bit of kit for a cham but you must not place it inside the viv as they are very very hot!! and no light or heat at nigh they are fine without this as it helps them sleep and gives them a good day night cycle and also be aware it will be easier to get a male yemans cham if this is the first one you have had as female will produce unfertilized eggs when they are adult and can get egg bound which is basicaly them producing so many eggs that it can block them up inside and kill them if the right digging conditions arnt supplied as metioned before and it can kill her so to prevent this problem i would defo get a male...nicer colours too, but can be a bit bigger!! 18 to 24 inches nose to tail and a bit smaller for a female one. have a chat with the breeders ok. :D

Many thanks for the great advice!

I've been reading the article on raising kitty and it is great. I have also been on UVGuide.com to keep the PowerSun bulb at a safe distance to not over feed UV. Since I plan on ultimately putting him or her on a 6' enclosure, I see the PowerSun as ideal.

Thanks again for the links they were just what I needed and clarified most if not all the questions I had on setting up. I'll keep the egg bound problem in mind. I wanted a female because of their small size, I guess I'll have to look into the bucket with sand solution in detail.

While out shopping I came across a flyer at a Reptile store for a Reptile Show. I will be attending the Reptile Super Show in Jan'09 at the Pomona Fairplex and have a talk with the breeders and see if I can find myself a chameleon to bring home.

Thanks again.

Many thanks for the great advice!

I've been reading the article on raising kitty and it is great. I have also been on UVGuide.com to keep the PowerSun bulb at a safe distance to not over feed UV. Since I plan on ultimately putting him or her on a 6' enclosure, I see the PowerSun as ideal.

Thanks again for the links they were just what I needed and clarified most if not all the questions I had on setting up. I'll keep the egg bound problem in mind. I wanted a female because of their small size, I guess I'll have to look into the bucket with sand solution in detail.

While out shopping I came across a flyer at a Reptile store for a Reptile Show. I will be attending the Reptile Super Show in Jan'09 at the Pomona Fairplex and have a talk with the breeders and see if I can find myself a chameleon to bring home.

Thanks again.

very cool! Most of us will b attending the show as well.

Now, I dont own a veiled, but from what I can tell, the size doesnt seem to much of a difference when it comes to a male/female. Male would certainly be easier I would think, just because you dont have to worry with the cham laying eggs and such, and Ive heard females get real cranky when they're pregnant. Both can have the same attitudes though, dont hold me on any of this, just what Ive soaked up so far about veileds.

Back
Top Bottom