need more plants for my first cham.

jmacphee9

just trying to do this right, but i only have 1 plant so far for my future cham, and i want to do it right, so where do you guys get your plants and what plants should i be looking for? i need some more height and more crossing branches from side to side for sure but i dont know what to get or where to start even other then the safe plant list, which doesnt help me much because im apparently not good with plants and didnt find much at home depot that looked appropriate for a cage.

Ficus tree all day :) with a spider plant for bottom of enclosure. I'm sure you can find a ficus for any size enclosure you have. I use Ficus with my enclosure with a florescent plant grow light and its thriving along with my veiled cham :D

spider plant is what i have now:) i went to home depot for a ficus and that was the only safe list plant i could see so i got it but i need more height, guess ill look around for a ficus again

Pothos are great also and easy to find a Home Depot they just take a while to spread their vines were you want. For cross branches I would just go cut some small branches off a tree you have, preferably one that has no bark or one you can strip all the bark off of. We have lots of Crepe Myrtle here that work great. I would suggest you put them in your oven for about 20 minutes are 350 just to make sure there are no unwanted visitors. Some have other methods of cleaning the branches that might want to chime in to. Ficus are great too you can usually find one that is just about 4' tall at WalMart, Lowes or Homedepot for about $25 or at a local nursery for about $40 these will give you the height you need.

I've been looking for other options as well. I have a ficus and it's really great, but I'm looking to see what else I can get in there to up the humidity. I found the most common are ficus, pothos, dwarf umbrella tree and hibiscus. Apparently there isn't really a good herp site that sells these specifically grown for herp enclosures, but local nurseries are probably your best bet for a healthy plant. Otherwise, Home Depot and Lowes if you can find a healthy plant. You're also going to want to repot those with fresh soil without fertilizer and wash the plant down really well to get any pesticides or harmful elements off. Oh and you'll want to leave room in your pot for a top layer of large rocks to keep your cham from eating the soil. I used large exo terra turtle rocks from petco and washed them again for good measure to make sure they were safe.

I get mine from the North American Rainforest, aka the Pacific Northwest. I choose non-toxic invasive species. Not even I can kill those. :)

You can also try hibisus and dwarf umbrella they work great in my enclosures and the hibiscus makes nice flowers for you cham to eat

i have a hibiscus, an umbrella tree , a pothos and a dracanea(spelling) for my veiled because theyre all safe for her to eat or at least safe to eat in small quantities being that veilds are pretty herbivorius and i got them from lowes and home depot, my little cammy's cage is like a mini rain forest now and when i up her cage size its be a bigger mini rain forest lol

Heres a pic of my Ficus And Spider plant with some fake foliage from Micheal's.

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 142
I just wanted to add that height of plants can be adjusted easily with low cost plant stands. Here, we have Dollar General and Family Dollar where I purchased small plant stands, a couple different heights, for $3 to $6. :)

Back
Top Bottom