Need Helpful Information(read for more info)

Newguy1234

I have been doing around a half of year of research on the Veiled Chameleon, like its eating habits, temperatures, breeding, care, etc. I am starting to buy the chameleon's cage and the chameleon itself. I just wanted to ask you guys some basic questions=)! Most of them revolve around cages!
***Also I Will Be Starting Out With A Baby Veiled***

1) How often do you clean your Chameleon's cage?

2) Should i buy an expensive mister since I go to school from around 7 am-4 pm(if no explain)?

3) What time of ground covering do you use, and why?(ex:News Paper,dirt, etc)

4) Should I keep crickets in the cage (because I am at school most of the day) or feed him one by one when I get home?

Thanks for all your help guys!:)

I have been doing around a half of year of research on the Veiled Chameleon, like its eating habits, temperatures, breeding, care, etc. I am starting to buy the chameleon's cage and the chameleon itself. I just wanted to ask you guys some basic questions=)! Most of them revolve around cages!
***Also I Will Be Starting Out With A Baby Veiled***

1) How often do you clean your Chameleon's cage?

2) Should i buy an expensive mister since I go to school from around 7 am-4 pm(if no explain)?

3) What time of ground covering do you use, and why?(ex:News Paper,dirt, etc)

4) Should I keep crickets in the cage (because I am at school most of the day) or feed him one by one when I get home?

Thanks for all your help guys!:)

Welcome to the forums!
You have made a great choice joining here to ask your questions. It is an endless source of valuable information.

1) I do spot cleanings every day. Using paper towel as substrate, it is really easy for me to take out the soiled pieces (for example, where he poops/urate). I will change it out completely every three or four days, maybe a little bit more, but because I have a Jackson's chameleon (requires a bit of a higher humidity than a veiled) the paper towels tend to get moist quickly. To avoid mould growth, I change frequently. Though this will change from owner to owner.

2) From 7A-4P, it would be a huge chunk of the day for your chameleon without water. As you know, chameleons do not recognize sitting water. It is necessary to have some sort of system/mister/dripper that creates drops on the leaves that the chameleon recognizes as a water source. I swear by the Mistking, there are other types of misting systems that you can use as well. This part is up to you, I would recommend something automatic or just a really large dripper that can run all day. For a baby that will be shedding very often, it would be a good idea to have some sort of system to keep the humidity up during the day.

3) Most keepers use paper towel as their substrate. It is very easy to clean (my favorite part), soaks up any excess water for easy changing, and there is no risk of the chameleon accidentally ingesting any of it while hunting for prey. Using substrates like different kinds of dirts, fibers, chips, etc isn't recommended for the risk of the chameleon shooting prey with its tongue and accidentally picking up some substrate as well. I know a few keepers that use tile or even reptile carpet.

4) I would recommend feeding your chameleon, depending on the age of the animal, when you are home to take out any excess that are not eaten after the meal. Crickets are known for biting live animals, including chameleons, which is never good! I always take out excess crickets before lights-out time so they do not snack on my chameleon's skin during the nighttime. Baby chameleons require a lot of food for growth.

Here is the forum's caresheet. It is a wonderful resource.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Welcome to the forums!
You have made a great choice joining here to ask your questions. It is an endless source of valuable information.

3) Most keepers use paper towel as their substrate. It is very easy to clean (my favorite part), soaks up any excess water for easy changing, and there is no risk of the chameleon accidentally ingesting any of it while hunting for prey. Using substrates like different kinds of dirts, fibers, chips, etc isn't recommended for the risk of the chameleon shooting prey with its tongue and accidentally picking up some substrate as well. I know a few keepers that use tile or even reptile carpet.

Here is the forum's caresheet. It is a wonderful resource.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

I have to disagree with this part of your reply, especially to someone who is new to chameleons - MOST keepers use paper towels as a substrate??
I beg to differ - I would instead say that MOST keepers DO NOT use ANY substrate, as these tend to harbor bacteria in the enclosure which will just lead to health issues down the road. In the 15 or so years I've been raising and breeding chameleons (mainly Panthers, but other species too) I haven't used ANY substrate unless it was a densely planted terrarium type enclosure which is not something one would use for a Veiled but rather the Montane species and the Pygmy varieties.
My personal advice to anyone who is new to the hobby and looking to have a Veiled as their first chameleon is NO SUBSTRATE!!
Daily spot cleanings & weekly total cleanings are the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom