need help!

ydktdborg

This morning i saw that my 5 month old female panther wasnt moving at all so i picked her up and she has no energy whatsoever. shes been dark for quite a while and ive been trying to give her water. Ive only been able to get little drips when she opens her mouth quickly.
I had her on a box and put her in her tank and then after a few minutes watery,slimy yellow and brown stuff came out of her bum. Once this happened she turned a pale colour like when shes not stressed.
the guy at the pet shop has told me to put her into a tub with warm water and let her try and drink for herself. since shes been in the water shes tried to drink a few time.
She stays still for a while then she tries to move about like shes regaining energy.

The reason why i think shes ill is because shes been in the same tank as a male and ive been trying to get the things i need to seperate them but they only just came in. Im thinking that shes too stressed coz of the male. but yesterday she had a lot of life and she was moving about fine.

could it be anything else and do you think she will survive?

You said... "the guy at the pet shop has told me to put her into a tub".
That was the wrong person to approach for help. I know there are some good pet store employees out there, and some of them may have helpful advice, but in general, if something is wrong with your animal... go to a vet!
(and not just any vet - go to one with reptile experience).

Unfortunately, there is no way anyone on here can tell you whether she will survive or not, or even what is wrong with her.
At most, the members here can provide suggestions as to what may be causing her ailment, and suggest possible solutions to the problem.
But in order to do that, you'd need to provide a lot more information (and photos would help too).
Read the sticky at top of the Health Clinic forums for more information about How to ask for help.

From what you have described (the runny discharge) it is likely that there is some digestive tract issue. This could be caused by a multitude of problems or husbandry errors.
Some of the ones that are more obvious:
- did she eat anything different? New or wild-caught bugs that may be laced with pesticides, or could have ingested mouldy food.
- are all the plants in her cage free of pesticides/chemical fertilizers? Did she perhaps eat fertilized soil in her cage?
- has she been checked for parasites?
- has her diet consisted mainly of watery foods (e.g. silkworms)? (that could make her discharge runny, but it wouldn't account for her lethargical behaviour)
There are many other possible causes, but it is impossible to diagnose with the information you have provided.

I highly recommend seeing a vet. Even if there isn't anything serious wrong with her, it establishes a relationship between you and the vet that may be useful if anything serious does go wrong.

thanks for the reply but the reason i havent gone to a vet is because i still cant find one that has experience with chameleons.

She died only an hour ago so i got to her too late.

As for all the things that you mentioned, none of those actually applied to her. Maybe something did get into the cage and upset her.
Im thinking its the stress side of things and i do know that chameleons hide their illnesses but would she really have been fine last night then be almost dead this morning due to stress?

End of the day i should have been more prepared and seperated them a lot earlier!

sorry to hear about your girl. how old were they and how long did you have them together? If they were in a glass tank you have to be very careful about overheating. I would get the male out of that enclosure and put him into one that has been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

You might still want to give us a run down on your set, feeding regimen, etc. so we can help you troubleshoot - and your male does not succumb to the same end. Post a pic of the setup if you can.

here are a couple more vet links - as Brad said, that is the FIRST thing you need to do. My personal feeling is that if a keeper does not have a vet with chameleon (or at the very least general reptile) experience within a distance s/he are willing to drive then s/he should not be keeping chams. Sorry, but like Brad, we have all seen way too many losses due this very factor.

www.exoticpetvetfinder.com/
www.herpvetconnection.com/

Back
Top Bottom