Need help with pygmy enclosure

JGall75

I currently have a 12 x 12 x 18 exo terra terrarium that I want to house a pair or trio of pygmy leafs in. I have a nice piece of driftwood that looks more like a tree trunk in the enclosure and clumps of fake exo terra plants giving the perception of foliage on the tree. The bottom of the enclosure is filled with expanded clay pellets (hydroton) that I had been keeping filled with water below the surface line and running a exo terra fogger. Temps are kept at approximately 70-72 during the day. Humidity around 60 % One compact florescent bulb in the hood (6500 k). I lost a pair of wc s in this set up. They seemed to be roaming part of the time in the enclosure but would also bask in spots. They were eating dusted crickets fine for me, really unsure what happened. Most of the advice I had been given blamed transport (mail order) and the fact that they were wild caught specimens. I ordered a 40 watt ceramic heat emitter for basking and am looking to possibly revamp the set up to be more like what I have read in this section of the forum. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I pull the driftwood out (it fills the majority of the cage but provides a lot of climbing surface, which I did seem them frequently climbing on) or just put down proper substrate and plant around it. Would untouchable standing water have been a problem as far as harboring harmful bacteria. The last ditch effort and not the option I want to take would be to use this setup for a species of small tree frogs and start over with the pygmy set up.

Lose the standing water and use real plants with the set up you might all so conceder on getting a bigger enclosure for a trio and make sure you have one male and two females. lose the forgoer and mist the tank with distiled water. As for the bottom hydro pellets screen the some charcoal then your substrate. You should all so add springtailes to your enclosure as well they will eat the fungus that growes I hope this helps you out.

the standing water is more trouble than it's worth. temps and humidity are in good range. For misting if your water is un chlorinated you can use it. I spent a ton of time and money buying water for my chams, but then it dawned on me if I am letting them drink the water in the shower and I let my two children drink the tap water chances are I can mist with it too.

substrate is easy enough. Organic potting soil is great, coconut bedding mix from the pet store, and/ for females I recommend mixing in play sand(be sure to bake it first to kill any critters that may be lying in wait).

Back
Top Bottom