Need help! with my Veiled Care

amy045

I have a male veiled chameleon in a cage 42 inches high and 18 inches wide and deep, inside has two cheflera also has several branches to move easily through the cage .. I give him water 2 times daily with a spray bottle .. The incandescent light has a reflector 20''with a 50 watt bulb also has a heat lamp infrared marked with a 50-watt bulb (heatglo) Exoterra brand. It's okay to have this type of lighting or I should make some changes? if they have any recommendations or suggestions let me know ... THANKS!!

Attachments

• heat-glo-infrared.jpg
    heat-glo-infrared.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 101
  • 21hsD5vNZfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    21hsD5vNZfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_3844.jpg
    100_3844.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF1907 (768x1024).jpg
    DSCF1907 (768x1024).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF1908 (768x1024).jpg
    DSCF1908 (768x1024).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 149
You need a UVB light. Get a Reptisun 5.0 tube, not the compact bulb. The 50 watt bulb for basking is ok providing your cham is a young adult or adult and you can achieve a basking temp for the young cham of about 80-82 or the adult can bask at up to 88 degrees or so. You don't need the red light and no lights on at night in the cage.

I have a male veiled chameleon in a cage 42 inches high and 18 inches wide and deep, inside has two cheflera also has several branches to move easily through the cage .. I give him water 2 times daily with a spray bottle .. The incandescent light has a reflector 20''with a 50 watt bulb also has a heat lamp infrared marked with a 50-watt bulb (heatglo) Exoterra brand. It's okay to have this type of lighting or I should make some changes? if they have any recommendations or suggestions let me know ... THANKS!!

So let's see if I understand the lights correctly...you have BOTH a 50 watt incandescent bulb AND an infrared 50 watt bulb on at the same time? Probably too much heat and both can dry the cage out too quickly...what is the temperature right at his basking perch? That is what you need to know to determine how much heat (in terms of watts) you should use. A temp higher than 90 F could cause a burn if he gets too close to the bulb. You can adjust the temp by moving a light closer or farther away from the cage top. No heat on at night unless your room gets colder than 55 F. Chams do see the full visible spectrum too, so any night heat should not be produced by a light.

You also need a source of UVB and neither of these bulbs produce the correct part of the UV spectrum. Most incandescent bulbs do not produce UVB except the mercury vapor or PowerSun type UV bulbs. To be safe for most chams, especially young ones, use a ReptiSun 5.0 linear (tube) fluorescent and change the bulb every 6 months.

You need a UVB light. Get a Reptisun 5.0 tube, not the compact bulb. The 50 watt bulb for basking is ok providing your cham is a young adult or adult and you can achieve a basking temp for the young cham of about 80-82 or the adult can bask at up to 88 degrees or so. You don't need the red light and no lights on at night in the cage.

Thank you!! :)

first of all is a pleasure to meet you .. I am new to this site and I learned a lot from this forum, thank you very much on the alternatives to improve my cage ...
I have many another question ...
In the aquarium reflector I could leave an incandescent bulb and the other mercury? or change the reflector? I think the better question is, What changes should I do?:confused::confused: when he will have other colors? like most veiled chameleon ...:confused::confused:

Sorry if do not understand my English .. I'm not from USA, I'm from Puerto Rico .. I am a beginner in this beautiful passion of chameleons ...
.. besides the chameleon also I have a ballpython, guinea pig, 2 cats, 3 Sheetland Sheepdog (AKA-Shelties) and a beautiful Great Dane ... in addition I have other types of animals ... I love my pets and want the best for them ... I hope you can help ...
:D:)

and here is my new pet, Yoshi .. my male Veiled Chameleon ... how it looks?:rolleyes:
if you also could tell me an approximate age, I appreciate it ....:)

Attachments

• DSCF1831.jpg
    DSCF1831.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 172
  • my boyfriend and yoshi.jpg
    my boyfriend and yoshi.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 162955_483429696921_729166921_6582962_1883546_n.jpg
    162955_483429696921_729166921_6582962_1883546_n.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF1552.jpg
    DSCF1552.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 194
Are you positive it is a male? Does he have little points(tarsal spurs) on the back of his back feet? You cannot really see in any of the pictures. It is hard to estimate age as all chams grow at different rates and are slower or faster growers than others. I would say your cham is maybe 5-6 months old just based on other pics I have seen on the forum. My guess could be wrong though. Maybe someone else will comment.

I keep my juvi at with a basking temp of around 85F with the temp around the cage being somewhere in the mid 70F s.

You need to buy a UVB light and fixture (as already stated). I use a reptisun 5.0 linear tube with no problems at all.

Your chameleon looks to be in pretty good shape to me, although in some of the pics it's eyes look a tad sunken. Do you know how humid (%) the cage is? Do you use a dripper?

I am also not 100% sure if it is a male or how old it is. But if I had to guess, I'd say it's a female (based on colouration and casque size when compared to my male) and around 5 months of age (don't put money on that). If you can get a picture of its back feet then we can definitely tell you the sex of your cham.

i'd spray a bit more, his eyes do indicate that he might be a little dehydrated. keep the humidity up easily with live plants and a dripper.

ok i posted my cham back feet... please give me your opinion... thanks!!:D

Attachments

• DSCF1932.jpg
    DSCF1932.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF1933.jpg
    DSCF1933.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC08212.JPG
    DSC08212.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF1931.jpg
    DSCF1931.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 179
¿when he's going to start showing new colors? he's always light green with white when he's relax.. he change lighht green whit dark green spots...

yes, it is a boy! sorry! i could not see the back feet! He could be older than I earlier stated from the other pics. I think maybe the other member is closer with 7 months or so. It is so hard to tell as they all grow at different rates and same with the coloring.

Yea, I was 100% wrong, it's definitly a male. And from these new pics his eyes don't look at all sunken either...

I'd also guess that he's older then what I stated before (over 5 months), although I'm not exactly how much older he actually is.

¿when he's going to start showing new colors? he's always light green with white when he's relax.. he change lighht green whit dark green spots...

I believe he will only change to different shades of green...

For the most part he will be green or shades of with splashes of yellow, brown and light blues.

Back
Top Bottom