need help with lighting

Did you already buy it? usually you can find cheaper fixtures at WalMart/Home Depot/Lowes.

UVB is one light. Basking is one light. Day time is when you have the lights on, night time, no lights. You only need 2.

Did you already buy it? usually you can find cheaper fixtures at WalMart/Home Depot/Lowes.

UVB is one light. Basking is one light. Day time is when you have the lights on, night time, no lights. You only need 2.

You might need to explain to him because if he looks at the pet stores they all have "Night Lights" that are either red or blue or any color.

All you need is a UVB Lamp and Basking Lamp. Most petstores now have a 2 pack that has both.

Lights

No i havnt bought it yet, but all I need is two lights and thats the basking and UVB? Why do I see all these red night lights and blue day lights...lol. Also how do i run them do I have them both on at the same time and run with a timer (what time should they turn on and off) or does one have to stay on permitly and the other turns off?

Last edited:
No i havnt bought it yet, but all I need is two lights and thats the basking and UVB? Why do I see all these red night lights and blue day lights...lol
Red/blue lights are just to make more money from people who don't know better. Fortunately you came here before hand to learn. :)

give this a read through:
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

No i havnt bought it yet, but all I need is two lights and thats the basking and UVB? Why do I see all these red night lights and blue day lights...lol. Also how do i run them do I have them both on at the same time and run with a timer (what time should they turn on and off) or does one have to stay on permitly and the other turns off?

as syn stated, the other lights are there as money makers if advertised for chams. for some geckos and stuff, you can use them as heatless nightlights to watch nocturnal animals at night since they cant see the red wavelength.

YES you run them both at the same time.
you need a basking light to give you cham heat. put it in a corner or 'spot' so they can also avoid it to regulate their temp.
the UVB light is there for them get the UV rays that they arent getting from natural sunlight.
both are essential.
run them on a 12 hours ON / 12 hours OFF system. timers make it easy.

i read on a crested gecko breeder's website that they use suggested bundled up red christmas lights on enclosures for a cool visible effect.
i thought it sounded weird as well though. i mean, it is brightness, whatever it is. just because they may not be able to SEE red, they will still sense the brightness
good to know...
anyways...back to helping this guy

what kind of enclosure do you have. is it screen?

Yes. You don't need the Red and Blue bulbs, it is junk. Go to Wal-Mart, go to the pet section and find a dome fixture for a tube bulb and then go to home improvement and they have Dome clamp lamps for 8.00.

So run both the UVB light and basking light 12 hours on 12 hours off? Thats all I have to roll with?

That is it. Works perfectly. If you want to spend a $130.00 or more you can find a hood that will hold an 18" bulb and a heat lamp or two. I personally mostly use either the Walmart $7-$9 fixtures with a clamp lamp for a basking bulb.

Back
Top Bottom