Need help with ID please

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello, Some of my baby grasshoppers I’ve been hatching have grown up, can someone help me ID them?
@snitz427 @jamest0o0 or anyone else?

I’m in Denver, Colorado, USA

Attachments

• 9AF9F32D-03DA-40C5-83E8-7B01EBA2D34B.jpeg
    9AF9F32D-03DA-40C5-83E8-7B01EBA2D34B.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 115
@Brodybreaux25 @Motherlode Chameleon are also knowledgeable.

Any pics of adults? You’re right, don’t think these are differentials... mine had the telltale chevrons on the femur at this size. Could be - they do change quite a bit, just hard to tell by its femur. Not sure its a two striped, either. My red legged grasshoppers looked a lot like this when they were nymphs.

Google images for Melanoplus femurrubrum nymphs (red legged). The adults I have are rather small for grasshoppers - about the size of a large cricket.

E18522EE-483F-48C8-90DF-17F95E096F83.png

Some differential nymphs. My red legged looked very similar to the first pic as nymphs. I only had one differential, but it was about the size of my pinky, and a but meatier than the others I caught.

3EBECDA8-EE56-488C-B38F-60D808EAE4F2.jpeg DDE0042E-F5E9-48EF-B195-770F9B88E71A.jpeg

Last edited:
I think that one I sent was an adult? They’ve been mating so pretty sure! Thanks for looking into it for me!!!

Its wings dont look fully developed - when their wings are full grown they are considered adult. Not sure that applies to all species but I think at least most.

Just a fast review. If that species is the genus Melanoplus. The first picture looks #1 to be a Differential Grasshopper to me. The species possibly could be a Migratory Melanoplus species (Melanoplus sanguinipes) as well.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Just a fast review. If that species is the genus Melanoplus. The first picture looks #1 to be a Differential Grasshopper to me. The species possibly could be a Migratory Melanoplus species (Melanoplus sanguinipes) as well.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help.

Sorry for the late response, I think I need to change my notification settings. Looks like Melanoplus femurrubrum to me. It's a subadult, so you'll know for sure when it completes its final molt in a week or so.

Dean

Thanks for the late response. I figured you were the one to id this species. I am not keeping the smaller genus's of grasshoppers at the moment.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

If you do end up keeping breeding this, let us now how you get on. How you keep them and such, I was thinking about this, Two Stripeds are EVERYWHERE where I live in the 4 corners, in the summer, thought about catching and raising some.

Back
Top Bottom