Need Help With Hatching Silkworms

LilBlue

Hello everyone, I need help figuring out why my silkworms eggs are not hatching. I have followed the instructions on Mulberry Farms website exactly. I've read everything on here 3 times over, even before I started hatching. I started doing this in May of this year, my first batch was perfect. And then it all went down hill...

Incubator - Wine cooler turned on its side. Heat tape along the back. Helix 1000 thermostat. I use damp paper towels in the incubator close to the dishes, but not inside, which keeps the humidity between 70-80%(it stays pretty consistent).

Large petri dishes. Regular glue stick(I was told it shouldn't matter if it is acid free...). I tried scotch tape and paper towel as well. Dishes covered with a bowl and have an edge propped up for ventilation, 1/4".

Storage - Fridge was 37-40F. I turned it down last night to aim for 35-37F. Eggs kept in crisper with a small dish of water in the opposite corner. At first in May I didn't have a water dish in there because I didn't recall needing humidity in the fridge(my 2nd batch of eggs had the proper storage). And now my 3rd batch of eggs have proper storage.

So 10K eggs later, I have nothing and I am really frustrated. I have tried temps between 79-84F, as Mulberry Farms said that range would be good, and the warmer it is in that range, the sooner they will hatch. I hatched my very first batch at 82F in 6 days. There was humidity in there(paper towel method), but silly me I didn't have a gauge in there(there is now).

Over the summer, being really hot, I was having issues with trying to keep the humidity stable. Now being fall it is(also figured out how to better control my room temp in the basement - remove a couple drop ceiling tiles and add a fan). I noticed during the summer hatches that the eggs would change colour, but not as intensely as the first batch. And when I looked at them closely, the eggs looked swollen, and they were a dark green colour. I could see them fully formed in their shell. In June I continued trying to hatch eggs from the first batch, still at 82F, but having humidity control issues with the heat, only 45 eggs hatched out of a few hundred, they did not survive.

I read in some threads on here some people think that 78F is even too high, that 76F is more ideal. And some say they just leave them out in room temps(my house and reptile room stay around 76F).

I keep everything super duper clean. From food prep to my incubator(which was only used once a few years ago for ball python eggs). I use dish soap and a small amount of bleach, rinse everything really well with hot water, dried and air dried on clean towels. Small items like spoons, petri dishes get sealed up in a zip-lock bag to keep clean.

I think I have covered everything here. I may have missed something. I do have notes on my phone I could get on here.

Thanks!

I still haven't seemed to unlock the secrets of consistent silk egg hatching. I can treat them the same exact way each time and sometimes all goes as expected while other times they just never hatch. I have had some eggs hatch in a couple weeks, some in a couple months or longer and others that just never hatch. It mystifies me. I feel like there is some key I'm missing.

Last edited:
I still haven't seemed to unlock the secrets of consistent silk egg hatching. I can treat them the same exact way each time and sometimes all goes as expected while other times they just never hatch. I have had some eggs hatch in a couple weeks, some in a couple months or longer and others that just never hatch. It mystifies me. I feel like there is sine key I'm missing.

Grasshopper, you must look at the bigger picture…:)

Silk eggs are no different than other eggs, they don't last forever. When we refrigerate them, it will prolong the life, but your hatch rate will dwindle to zero if they are in the refrigerator too long.

What is too long you ask?? Well, depends. If your supplier just got FRESH silk eggs, you will get about 6 months of decent hatch rates. If on the other hand, your supplier sells you eggs that have been with him for 3 months, you only get 3 months of good hatch rates.

If your supplier is at the 5 month mark, you are SOL if you buy enough to hatch out for the next 4 months.

Also, this is a living product, so variables will increase or decrease the hatch rates. If they have been warmed up and started to hatch, and then were refrigerated again, they may not hatch at all. That is why the suppliers require a cold pack on eggs shipping to you that you plan to refrigerate some of them.

To LilBlue, your husbandry is fine, me thinks you may have gotten some older eggs.:( Pm me and I will give you some info on your next purchase.

Nick:D

I tend to have issues even when breeding my own eggs that I know are fresh. They just seem so unpredictable and I haven't really figured out what the variable is that is causing me trouble.

I have tried hatching without a diapause and half the time they hatch while other times they never hatch.

I have tried varying diapause length and still cant seem to get any consistent hatching success. Its like a crap shoot I'm surprised when I have worms hatching while other times the eggs just do nothing.

Thank you for the replies. It did seem odd to me that I used the exact same method for hatching and had mixed results.

Nick - You are right about the eggs being old, makes sense. From my first batch of eggs that I ordered in May, the first batch hatching 98%, and then only a few a month later...definitely old, but not on my end of things. I'm going to keep track of when my supplier gets fresh eggs and only order then.

It makes me feel much better knowing my husbandry sounds good. I've been going crazy wondering if and what I am doing wrong. I have a good feeling about the eggs I just ordered. Wish me luck:D

I will update this post as to how my eggs went this go-around.

O.M.G. They're hatching right now...I'm doing my happy dance. I may have cried a few tears of joy too lol.

Well I need to go make chow now because I wasn't expecting the darn things to hatch:)

Back
Top Bottom