Need help identifying what type of Jackson's chameleon I have

TimothyOnTop

Established Member
Hello my name is Timothy and I am a first time chameleon owner i just finished my enclosure and purchased a young male Jackson's chameleon the lady at the pet store didn't know much to say the least she didn't even know if it was a male or a female ? but i would like to know what subspecies i have so i know how big he will be I also would like to know if anyone can help me with his age
IMG_20200808_190227.jpg

Attachments

• 15971939442694071679429221392843.jpg
    15971939442694071679429221392843.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 81
Yes, can you get me a picture of the side view. He is likely a jacksonii xantholphus but I can be more confident with a side shot.

He weighs 19 grams
Do you have any idea how old he might be?

Attachments

• 15971991755381981892197632860067.jpg
    15971991755381981892197632860067.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 107
He's sooo cute. Congrats. ❤️ I encourage you to share your husbandry details using the help form when you get a chance (you can find it in the health forum) so the members here who know Jackson's, like JacksJill, can give you feedback for keeping your new buddy healthy and thriving.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male jacksons cham been in my care for 30 days
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have held him twice trying to let him settle in i sit by his cage a lot getting him used to me being around him
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have been feeding crickets a dozen large everyday i guy load with spinach carrots celery strawberries bananas and oranges for 2 days in separate cage before i feed i let them free roam in his cage so he has to hunt for them free him a dozen wax worms every other week
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use zoo med repti calcium without d3 every other day and zoo med repti calcium with d3 first Sunday of every month and flukers reptile vitamin the 3rd sunday of every month
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a mister set to go off at 6pm and 2am for 2 minutes each time i have a fogger system set to turn on for 15 mins at 1am 15 mins at 2 am 15 mins at 3 am 15 mins at 4 am 15 mins at 5 am 15 mins at 6 am 15 mins at 7 am and a dripper that i let slow drop 24 hours a day and yes i see him drink after 6 pm misting and from dripper throughout the day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested for parasites his stool is firm brown and white noodle looking thing on it
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Exo terra 36x18x36 glad with vents under doors and screen too i replaced the metal screen with a carbon mesh so it won't rust
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have 2 reptisun 5.0 cfl bulbs and 2 plant bulbs set on time on at 8am off at 8pm i have a ceramic heater on a timer comes on at 8am turns off at 6pm and a 36 inch led t5 5600k on timer on at 8am off at 8pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? i have his basking spot set at 86 degrees ambient temperature is between 72 and 74 bottom of cage between 68 and 70 i have the basking spot connected to temperature controller to stay right at 85 i measure temperature with six digital thermometers at six locations inside cage
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity is between 40 and 50 percent during day and 99 percent at night i measure with digital hydrometers placed throughout cage at 4 locations
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? His cage is located in my room low traffic i have it on a high stand the top of the cage is 7 feet from floor bottom of cage is 4 feet of floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Spokane wa
  • And his name is Como

Como is a fun name! Can you share photos of the enclosure top to bottom as well?

I think these gutloading and feeders graphics will be helpful for you. Spinach can bind calcium so use sparingly (or never) as gutload. Crickets are a good staple but you want variety in feeders and gutload to keep your Chameleon thriving. :)

Oh and also free ranging food is OK but you probably want to keep some food in the cage for the crickets so they don't get hungry and nibble on Como. You also want to make sure you don't have anything that's an impaction risk in the cage that Como might eat grabbing a cricket off the floor or elsewhere.

I am still a newbie so I'll let others chime in on the rest of the form.

1670FA3C-5A43-4293-911C-4536D0CE384B.jpeg
945398A9-6C85-4059-BDDA-89EB1BD26008.jpeg

Attachments

• 1670FA3C-5A43-4293-911C-4536D0CE384B.jpeg
    1670FA3C-5A43-4293-911C-4536D0CE384B.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 81
Definitely a xanth boy. My rough guess at his age is 6 months.
You have done well so far. Como is a lucky boy.
I recommend you reduce his basking temperature to 78-80 until he is older. It should then stay around 82. I would replace the ceramic heater with a 40 -60 watt plant bulb or raise it up off of the cage. You should get him some live plants they will stabilize your humidity during the winter when you run a heater etc..

Como is a fun name! Can you share photos of the enclosure top to bottom as well?

I think these gutloading and feeders graphics will be helpful for you. Spinach can bind calcium so use sparingly (or never) as gutload. Crickets are a good staple but you want variety in feeders and gutload to keep your Chameleon thriving. :)

Oh and also free ranging food is OK but you probably want to keep some food in the cage for the crickets so they don't get hungry and nibble on Como. You also want to make sure you don't have anything that's an impaction risk in the cage that Como might eat grabbing a cricket off the floor or elsewhere.

I am still a newbie so I'll let others chime in on the rest of the form.

View attachment 274577
View attachment 274578
I have a fish in good in the cage for the crickets but i will no longer be using spinach thank you for the advice i really appreciate it

I recommend you reduce his basking temperature to 78-80 until he is older. It should then stay around 82. I would replace the ceramic heater with a 40 -60 watt plant bulb or raise it up off of the cage. You should get him some live plants they will stabilize your humidity during the winter when you run a heater etc..
[/Qh
I will lower his basking temp. His heat Bulb is raised off his cage with a pole that is attached to the side. Ty for all the great advice i really appreciate your time

I will lower his basking temp. His heat Bulb is raised off his cage with a pole that is attached to the side. Ty for all the great advice i really appreciate your time
I will also get some love plants do you know any good plants that i can put at the bottom and will almost vine up that i call weave between his climbing sticks?

I will also get some love plants do you know any good plants that i can put at the bottom and will almost vine up that i call weave between his climbing sticks?
You can get a pothos plant and set it on the ground like this, and raise the vines and tie them off where you want them. They are super durable and easy to care for plants.

You can get a pothos plant and set it on the ground like this, and raise the vines and tie them off where you want them. They are super durable and easy to care for plants.
I was just looking at golden pathos! Great advice i will go get one today thank you again i really appreciate your time and knowledge

Back
Top Bottom