Need Help/Advice on Branches

cital

So I have been doing a lot of research leading up to my fist chameleon purchase. Unfortunately, the one thing I didn't look into was what type of branches to use (or not to use). I bought a bunch of the Exo Terra "forest" branches (which is just grapevine) because there didn't really seem to be many other options, but now I have read that they get water logged and don't last long at all with all the misting (I purchased a Mist King), and can even form mold... My question is, should I scrap all the grapevine that I bought? If so, what is my best bet for a replacement. If I have to I guess I could try to collect my own branches and treat them, but I would prefer to just purchase. Thanks so much in advance for any feedback!

Cital, As long as you treat the branches before use you will not have any issues. 2 of my enclosures with natural branches are almost 3 years old and have not had any issues with them at all. I just simply scraped all the bark off, let soak for a while, then put them in the oven. I used very light bleach in the solution I used and rinsed multiple times. It took about a half a day and most of that was just waiting. The greatest part about it was it was all completely free. As far a purchasing branches I have heard all sorts of great ideas. Not to sure if they are good to use but I have heard of untreated wood dowels, bamboo (to slippery if you ask me), and all the other vines you can purchase through the WWW. If it was me go with make your own. It gives your enclosure character and in my opinion it gives it a more natural look.

18 years of keeping chameleons and I have never treated a branch prior to using.

The biggest key is in the picking. Don't use branches that have obviously been on the ground for a long time. Don't use branches covered in bird feces and other nasty bits. I prefer to cut mine fresh. That is the easiest method. Just stick with branches from oak, fruit, etc. Nothing that saps heavily.

Washing them off and letting them dry in the sun is great, but bleaching, debarking, etc.....a complete waste of time IMO.

Cital, As long as you treat the branches before use you will not have any issues. 2 of my enclosures with natural branches are almost 3 years old and have not had any issues with them at all. I just simply scraped all the bark off, let soak for a while, then put them in the oven. I used very light bleach in the solution I used and rinsed multiple times. It took about a half a day and most of that was just waiting. The greatest part about it was it was all completely free. As far a purchasing branches I have heard all sorts of great ideas. Not to sure if they are good to use but I have heard of untreated wood dowels, bamboo (to slippery if you ask me), and all the other vines you can purchase through the WWW. If it was me go with make your own. It gives your enclosure character and in my opinion it gives it a more natural look.
Thanks, but do you think I should scrap the Exo Terra grapevine branches that I have already purchased?

This is what my setup looks like so far, obviously need to add plants, but are those branches no good?
image.jpeg

18 years of keeping chameleons and I have never treated a branch prior to using.

The biggest key is in the picking. Don't use branches that have obviously been on the ground for a long time. Don't use branches covered in bird feces and other nasty bits. I prefer to cut mine fresh. That is the easiest method. Just stick with branches from oak, fruit, etc. Nothing that saps heavily.

Washing them off and letting them dry in the sun is great, but bleaching, debarking, etc.....a complete waste of time IMO.
Thanks, but do you think I should scrap the Exo Terra grapevine branches that I have already purchased? (I posted a pic..)

Thanks, but do you think I should scrap the Exo Terra grapevine branches that I have already purchased? (I posted a pic..)

Here is my opinion. I think they are very aesthetically pleasing. But, they will mildew. I just prefer branches that are natural and barked. They are better for gripping and they tend to be even more aesthetically pleasing to me. So, if it were mine, I would go with something else. Plus, you will want more variety in branch size for your chameleon. The braided one you have is actually very hard on their feet as well. I am just a huge fan of natural all the way..but to each their own.

Can I ask what species will be housed?

Holy moly that must have cost a small fortune. Those grapevines around here are very expensive. They look cool though. I would just go with different sticks and branches found outside like jpowell said. That's what I use too along with some of the bendy vines only cuz I had already bought them .

It is really up to you man. Whatever you like. I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to your babies. I say that because I treat mine like their my kids, it is all what you want and what you like. I have been thrown in so many differect directions with so many questions I bring up its crazy. I like it because it's all like a science project. I am on design 62 for enclosure set up, design 37 for feeder cup, etc., etc.. you get my drift. I make it where A) it's good for my boys, and B) it's the easiest on me. All my lights, misting, everything is automated. I'm still tring to create an auto enclosure cleaner upper thingy. Not getting to far with it. HA! But yeah man don't get to worried about it and enjoy with lessons learned. And one word of advice. NEVER throw something away. I used to but over the years I have kicked myself in the butt as u could have repurposed things I threw away a long time ago. I have 3 37 gallon tuBS full parts and failed designs. I keep just incase I need it for something.

Thanks, but do you think I should scrap the Exo Terra grapevine branches that I have already purchased?

I think it looks nice. We have a conservation area in our backyard so we go and grab branches from there. Honestly it looks fine otherwise

Thanks for the feedback guys, this site has been such a great resource! I think I am going to try out what I have in place and see how it goes. I will collect branches in the meantime in case things go bad with the ones I already have. I live in Colorado, so I know keeping the humidity up will be a challenge... Maybe by chance the grapevine branches will help with that by being more absorbent (but probably not)....

Someone asked what type of cham I'm planning on going with and I am still undecided between a veiled and a panther. From what I've read veiled's are slightly more tolerant of lower humidity levels (I know not by much), but maybe that would be the better choice for me...

One word of caution, make sure the cut ends of the zip ties do not have sharp, exposed ends. This could lead to some nasty cuts.

I would remove the 2 fake vines for the reasons stated in the previous posts. If you don't want to take out the sandblasted Grapevine, you will have the "opportunity" to pull everything out, once the mold starts if you have a misting system. If you have homes in your area that have planted Ivy as a ground cover, it is considered an invasive species, as it grows so fast, and climbs tree trunks, and eventually will kill deciduous trees. In the Pacific Northwest it is everywhere, and the vines range from 1/8-inch to 4-inch thickness. My enclosures use Ivy of varying sizes, the smaller vines can bend into a 2-foot circle, creating horizontal levels in the cage. One large Pathos provides living vines to complete the cages. This system keeps the floor empty for easy cleaning, and reduced areas for bugs and stagnate water to stay. As a side note, I don't put branches in the bottom third of the cage, but the top has enough Pathos to hide my chameleon, it is a jungle in there! With the Dragonstrand ledges you have, you could set the Pathos on a cross brace of wood or plastic.

CHEERS!

Nick

One word of caution, make sure the cut ends of the zip ties do not have sharp, exposed ends. This could lead to some nasty cuts.

@cital a quick touch with a lighter will take care of that!

I think the wood looks awesome!! I don't know about longevity or all the other things, but damn.....I think it looks amazing as a start! Need some luscious live plants in there though..

I would remove the 2 fake vines for the reasons stated in the previous posts. If you don't want to take out the sandblasted Grapevine, you will have the "opportunity" to pull everything out, once the mold starts if you have a misting system. If you have homes in your area that have planted Ivy as a ground cover, it is considered an invasive species, as it grows so fast, and climbs tree trunks, and eventually will kill deciduous trees. In the Pacific Northwest it is everywhere, and the vines range from 1/8-inch to 4-inch thickness. My enclosures use Ivy of varying sizes, the smaller vines can bend into a 2-foot circle, creating horizontal levels in the cage. One large Pathos provides living vines to complete the cages. This system keeps the floor empty for easy cleaning, and reduced areas for bugs and stagnate water to stay. As a side note, I don't put branches in the bottom third of the cage, but the top has enough Pathos to hide my chameleon, it is a jungle in there! With the Dragonstrand ledges you have, you could set the Pathos on a cross brace of wood or plastic.

CHEERS!

Nick
Thanks for the feedback/info. Quick question, but you pull both types of vines out, or just the larger braided one? Would the smaller smoother one really cause any harm? Thanks again!

I have never used artificial vines but , my understanding is they hold water so that the chameleons feet don't dry out; if your vine drys out you can use it. Once you go natural, it is hard to use artificial!

CHEERS!

Nick

Back
Top Bottom