Need Feeding Advice ..

KaydeesChams

I have a 1 year old ambanja panther (hes my avatar) he was a rescue who was given back to the breeder before he came to me he had an eye issue for a while with his previous owner he would have to be showered daily to get the crust/goop out and for him to open it up but the right eye was very cloudy and it appeared he didnt have much vision in it, but he stayed on the bottom of his cage most of the time with his eyes closed, the previous owner and the breeder that he was given back to had been hand feeding him. He came to me with some prescription eye drops so I would shower him and his eyes would clear up i noticed after I would put the drops in it would cause the eye to become all cloudy again so i cut out the eye drops and started him on vitamin A and god the issue is gone and both eyes have looked great since! yay!....but! he has now been hand fed since the issue started 5+ months ago and now he is scared of the bugs when I show him I put a few crickets in his cage and when they came near him he ducked down and took off the other way so then i tried super worms in a little feeder cup and as soon as he seen them move he did the exact same thing he shows no interest and is literally scared of them I would love for him to be able to eat normal again since he really doesnt need to be hand fed anymore if anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would greatly appreciated....Thank You!
Kaydee

i would try something that is slow moving maybe some kind of caterpillar? also, have you tried any flying insects? he may be more interested in those because he may not associate them with the other ones hes afraid of so maybe try some flies and moths :)

you can order silkworms online from one of the site sponsors. and feed them mulberry leaves. then theyll go through 4 molts and wrap themselves into a coccoon then they will come out of the coccoons moths :) ill see if i can find a place that sells moths or flies tho and let you kno!

I am soooooooo happy to say that the cricket cup feeders I made worked!!!!!! he is eating out of them everyday like a little piggy! I couldnt be happier I took this guy in with me and the breeder thinking his issues had left him blind his eyes were completly cloudy and full of goop, having to hand feed him and he was so scared when he seen a bug come near him, he just layed on the bottom of his cage all day....his eyes are now totally clear he NEVER goes to the bottom of his cage he runs to the cage door when he sees me and eating out of his cricket feeder is his new favorite thing to do! the first cricket i seen him eat brought tears to my eyes, I believed he was always going to be my "special needs boy" and now he is as normal as the rest of my chams :D

Attachments

• miles eating.JPG
    miles eating.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Reactions: Dez
thats great to hear!!! im so glad he's doing so well now!!! i would be exstatic as well, that is awesome, what a transformation :) all he needed was a loving and dedicated owner to get him going! :D

Back
Top Bottom