Need Another Feeder

Couple of thoughts...We pick Red Runner roaches almost every week, and have seen a male "jump and glide" but never fly like a green Banana roach. On Red runners you always move them into a container inside a larger container to catch any that fall, not because they fly, but because they are as fast as crickets.
On whatever species you get, think small on how many you get, keep them in a small container, and slow the growth of the colony by keeping the heat around 65-70, that will slow your hatch rate.
Another option is to buy different species on an as-needed basis, feed them off, and buy when you need some more feeders later.

CHEERS!@

Nick

I have a red runner colony and a dubia colony. The dubia roaches certainly aren't a hit with my reptiles including my cham but I keep them now for my hedgehog who loves them, the male dubia are a favorite with the larger tarantulas. My reptiles love red runners, get really excited when they see them running about. The only negative part is I need to cull the adult male red runners often. If there are too many males, they all flutter and crawl beneath the bin's mesh lid, trying to get out(maybe find more females outside the colony?).

Couple of thoughts...We pick Red Runner roaches almost every week, and have seen a male "jump and glide" but never fly like a green Banana roach. On Red runners you always move them into a container inside a larger container to catch any that fall, not because they fly, but because they are as fast as crickets.
On whatever species you get, think small on how many you get, keep them in a small container, and slow the growth of the colony by keeping the heat around 65-70, that will slow your hatch rate.
Another option is to buy different species on an as-needed basis, feed them off, and buy when you need some more feeders later.

CHEERS!@

Nick

Haha. I just purchased 100 orange heads from you. I will try a small amount of red runners if they won't eat the orange heads. Thanks Nick!

I had a colony at stinkbugs at some point (weird I know) and my veiled chameleon used to love them! I took a couple from the wild and breed them in my garage.

I had a colony at stinkbugs at some point (weird I know) and my veiled chameleon used to love them! I took a couple from the wild and breed them in my garage.

How’d you breed them, and how do you sex them? Does it smell when you feed them off!

I can’t believe I’m considering breeding stink bugs. But I’m forever finding them....

To be honest i don't really know. I believe the males have like a little thing on their back. In the summer I keep my feeders in the garage and that normally initiates breeding. one Female will lay between 20-30 eggs. They will only breed if its warm. tbh I just caught a couple and gave them some leafy greens and they started laying eggs. Sometimes they will stink up a room if you feed them, sometimes they won't. Some websites probably sell them. I just started keeping them because bugs are super easy and fun to take care of.

The easiest way is to just catch them from the wild but I would avoid that for fear of chemicals or parasites potentially latching on to them.

Just looked up what their breeding patterns and stuff are turns out they only lay eggs FOUR times a year. Definitely not the easiest to breed

@Calypratus i def wouldn’t feed the wild caught ones, due to my location I am uncomfortable feeding wild caught anything. Considering keeping and breeding the little jerks I find.

I would be somewhat careful because different lizards have different reactions to them. I gave a few to my friend for her leopard gecko and from what i've heard the smell freaked it out. My chameleon used to like isopods as well (I also had a few of them as pets) I assume this can be an issue if you are trying to introduce them to a bioactive tank.

Back
Top Bottom