Need advice

Panther678

So a reptile shop near me has a Jackson chemelon for £79.99 and a bohems 2 horned chemelon for £99.99. I'm gonna guess from these prices this place would not be good to get a chemelon. I know before I said I will get a veilied but I really like the Jackson chemelon. How many people on this site have had a Jackson as there first chemeleon.

I'm gonna guess from these prices this place would not be good to get a chemelon.
I would not necessarily make that assumption. You might try searching for reviews of the place on google, or asking on the UK reptiles forum. Some things (others may have more) to look for are:
  • Age of the chams (should be at least 3 mo.)
  • Are they CB or WC?
  • Who is the breeder?
  • How well are they kept? (enclosure size, cleanliness, temps & humidity, etc.)
  • Is there a health guarantee, coupon for vet health check, etc.?
  • Knowledgeability

I would not necessarily make that assumption. You might try searching for reviews of the place on google, or asking on the UK reptiles forum. Some things (others may have more) to look for are:
  • Age of the chams (should be at least 3 mo.)
  • Are they CB or WC?
  • Who is the breeder?
  • How well are they kept? (enclosure size, cleanliness, temps & humidity, etc.)
  • Is there a health guarantee, coupon for vet health check, etc.?
  • Knowledgeability
Ok thanks the shop is well know and thier reviews are great thier enclosures and setups are good as well. The only thing is they keep the enclosures in wooden vivariums but many people do here. Although I haven't been there in a while so an not to sure they might keep them in screens. Ok thankyou I read somewhere on this forum if that chemelons are being sold at low prices chances are they arent the best of health and likely wildcaught although I will get in contact with them to see and ask them questions.

Ok thanks the shop is well know and thier reviews are great thier enclosures and setups are good as well. The only thing is they keep the enclosures in wooden vivariums but many people do here. Although I haven't been there in a while so an not to sure they might keep them in screens. Ok thankyou
Whether wood or screen wouldn't be my primary concern.

I read somewhere on this forum if that chemelons are being sold at low prices chances are they arent the best of health and likely wildcaught although I will get in contact with them to see and ask them questions.
Yes, that can be true—hence the questions. It can also be the owner is a breeder, the breeder had a surplus (IDK if or how Brexit might influence the reptile trade their)... ?‍♂️

You can find more advice on Chameleon Academy, etc.
what to look for in a chameleon breeder? (Search)
what to look for in a chameleon vendor? (Search)
(Some crossover)

This is one I saw last year that they have from this picture how old would you say it is looks older than 3 months right. I wasnt planning on buying it last year so just took this photo because of how cool it looks.
From the photo in the middle it looks like it has a burn not sure if that's cause if the way I took the photo or not didnt know much about chemelons back then.

Attachments

• 20201013_131738.jpg
    20201013_131738.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 84
Three months is a minimum age.

IDK if it's a burn, but there appears to be some damage to one of the spines along his back, and I see something on his lip (which may only be a piece of stuck food—IDK).

Personally, I would not buy that animal, though there are many people here who would—if only to "rescue" it. Kudos to them; I'm not equipped for that anymore.

OTOH, ? happens, and the injury could have been an accident that could happen in the best of care.
My point is, one has to look at conditions as well as the animal itself—the whole picture.

Three months is a minimum age.

IDK if it's a burn, but there appears to be some damage to one of the spines along his back, and I see something on his lip (which may only be a piece of stuck food—IDK).

Personally, I would not buy that animal, though there are many people here who would—if only to "rescue" it. Kudos to them; I'm not equipped for that anymore.

OTOH, ? happens, and the injury could have been an accident that could happen in the best of care.
My point is, one has to look at conditions as well as the animal itself—the whole picture.
Ok thanks I think this animal has likely been sold by now as this was last year.

Considering the relatively short lifespan of chameleons in general (and some other factors), I think juveniles 3-6 months would be best choice for first-timers. Also best chance for success.

But that's me, and other opinions are just as valid.

Considering the relatively short lifespan of chameleons in general (and some other factors), I think juveniles 3-6 months would be best choice for first-timers. Also best chance for success.

But that's me, and other opinions are just as valid.
Okay thank you it's harder to find young Jacksons, it's mainly veilied chemelons here, I'm still considering veilieds because of how common they are here.

My advice is just buy it! You NEED it! You WANT it! Just DO it! What is money? Buy all the Chams to your hearts content!! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom