Need advice

I'm sorry you are going through this I can tell it is very hard for you to see him sick and in pain it sucks we have to go through these things sometimes but i can tell he has a lot of love from you and that in my opinion is great medicine I hope he gets better soon

I'm not a vet...but I think you need a good chameleon vet. It looks like there is something going on in the cloaca area and I wouldn't wait too long to get it solved.
I took him to the vet, that’s where I got the medicines from :cool: I was more posting to seek advice if anyone else had this same issue and if there was something more I could be doing as well, thanks

You said..."I took him to the vet, that’s where I got the medicines from"...I know...I read your post.
You said..."I was more posting to seek advice If ayone else had this same issue and if there was something more I could be doing as well, thanks"...how was the vet probing the cloaca? There are a few things that can cause the opening to look like this...gout, infection, reproductive issues.
Also...if its an infection I'll be very surprised if the antibiotic fixes it. Most chameleon 'pus' can't be penetrated by antibiotics.

You said..."I took him to the vet, that’s where I got the medicines from"...I know...I read your post.
You said..."I was more posting to seek advice If ayone else had this same issue and if there was something more I could be doing as well, thanks"...how was the vet probing the cloaca? There are a few things that can cause the opening to look like this...gout, infection, reproductive issues.
Also...if its an infection I'll be very surprised if the antibiotic fixes it. Most chameleon 'pus' can't be penetrated by antibiotics.
I’m sorry, your previous post said to take him to the vet. My vet is an exotic animal vet specializing in reptiles, he wanted to take a less aggressive approach with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication given orally, also the cream to help affected area. I actually have a follow up appointment with him in a few days, he does think the issue is possibly in the hemepenes and suggested that surgery would be a last resort if the medications did not work but he said Chan’s are slow to heal so wanted me to give the medication and monitor for a period of time. The swelling has decreased and it seems a little better but the area is still dark and he is still not interested in food

The cloaca consists of several "areas"...the hemipenes/sperm come out through the opening...the female reproductive organs empty into that area...the urates and fecal matter too. IMHO its little wonder issues can result in that area. I don't think this treatment will be the end of the issue...but I hope your vet proves me wrong.

UPDATE: Ripley has started eating again, went back to vet today for re-check after about a week and a half of meds and since some of the swelling has gone done he was able to examine the area more closely, they were able to dislodge a sperm plug from the hemipene that was swollen on one side, he was also able to debride a lot of dead tissue in the area caused by the swelling and infection. Vet feels that this was 100% the problem and the swelling has already started to decrease. He said that the hemipene still appears healthy and he feels that once the area heals he should be good, but we are going to watch it closely to make sure he is still able to release the sperm plugs on that side. He is changing up his antibiotics now that he knows exactly what the issue was but he said that Ripley already ate three crickets as soon as they put him in the incubator :p. I am headed out of town for the long weekend so he is going to chill at the vets in their enclosure so they can monitor and give him the meds. I wanted to ask if there is something that I could have done that caused the sperm plug to become stuck? Can a husbandry issue cause this, or is it just one of those things that can happen with males that are not mating?

UPDATE: Ripley has started eating again, went back to vet today for re-check after about a week and a half of meds and since some of the swelling has gone done he was able to examine the area more closely, they were able to dislodge a sperm plug from the hemipene that was swollen on one side, he was also able to debride a lot of dead tissue in the area caused by the swelling and infection. Vet feels that this was 100% the problem and the swelling has already started to decrease. He said that the hemipene still appears healthy and he feels that once the area heals he should be good, but we are going to watch it closely to make sure he is still able to release the sperm plugs on that side. He is changing up his antibiotics now that he knows exactly what the issue was but he said that Ripley already ate three crickets as soon as they put him in the incubator :p. I am headed out of town for the long weekend so he is going to chill at the vets in their enclosure so they can monitor and give him the meds. I wanted to ask if there is something that I could have done that caused the sperm plug to become stuck? Can a husbandry issue cause this, or is it just one of those things that can happen with males that are not mating?
That is wonderful news!
I do not know anything specifically that would be tied to husbandry and a sperm plug issue...

Glad Ripley is doing better.

AFAIK, sperm plugs are just one of those things that can happen. It's a husbandry issue in that it can happen with male chameleons, so it' s something to be aware of and watch for (like checking him over for wounds, sores, fungus, etc.) Now you know, and fortunately no permanent damage—he'll be able to play the violin again just as well as he did before... :rolleyes: ?

With different animals, we have to be aware of different possible health issues and be vigilant. E.g., with bearded dragons, it's often (among other things) clogged femoral pores. Chams don't seem to get those, but they can get sperm plugs. Some dogs get clogged anal glands. All are gross, but part of keeping the little boogers. ;)

Back
Top Bottom