Need advice!

Please, don't take the comments too hard, people are just trying to help you and sometimes making assumptions that turn out wrong (as in the case with the aquarium assumption). In regards to UVB bulb - you didn't mention that when describing your lighting setup, you just wrote it was 50W, you didn't mention what brand it was or what was the UVB percentage (usually it is 5.0 or 10.0), that is why Carol decided you had no UVB source.im sorry!

From what I can see, first of all your chameleon was very young when you got him - 2 weeks old is too young really, especially if this was your first chameleon. They are very fragile at that age, and normally it is not advised to buy or sell them until they've reached at least 2-3 month. Where was it that you bought him?we bought him at petsmart, which they said they had just got him in. and i am willing to bet he was wayyy to young.

Your feeding was sub-optimal I would say. Mealworms contain close to none nutritional value, they are mostly fat really, that's all, and plus you say he never took the ones that were dusted in calcium. Also you did not mention using any kind of vitamin supplement. That means that he probably was not getting the nutrients, minerals and vitamins that he needed to develop and grow properly. Chameleons need a variety of feeders, it is advised to use crickets, roaches, hornworms and silkworms as main feeders, and dusting with calcium at every feeding is of paramount importance, because chameleons need calcium not only for their bones, but also for many other bodily processes, including proper muscle function, breathing, etc.next time when we get another chameleon, we are going to have numerous different types of food for him to eat. thank you!

There could have been subtle signs indicating that he was not doing well before he started getting dark and closing his eyes, that you have not noticed simply because of lack of experience - there is nothing wrong with that, I have tried it myself, it happens, because chameleons are challenging creatures to keep.about a week before he passed, the only thing that he had really been doing different was just not being as active, and turning dark. i just thought he was either shedding or gaining colors. i am now thankful for this site.

Finally, there might have been some kind of a genetic defect, or maybe his mum was not cared for properly while she was carrying eggs, which resulted in him being weak or even ill, and in that case there was really not much you could have done.

Do you have any pictures of him that were taken after some time in your care or maybe shortly before he passed away? Also, maybe you have a picture of the enclosure itself? That could really help. There is a possibility that even though you had leaves and branches in his enclosure, there was still not enough places for him to hide and get his privacy - I am mentioning that because you wrote yourself that he started getting dark and lack of hiding places can stress chameleons very much.sadly, i dont have any pictures of him before he passed away. i didnt take many pictures of him and im not sure why... i should have taken more!

And please, don't take any of this as an attack on yourself. I believe with all my heart, that you were doing the best you could for your little friend. I have lost a chameleon myself and I know how it hurts... I would however like to help you figure out what went wrong, so that you can enjoy keeping these wonderful critters in future :) thank you!! it was extremely sad. but with the help of this website, i am learning a lot. and when i feel like i know %100 of how to take care of when i will get another !

JUlija

heres a picture of his enclosure, it is all taken apart becuase of him passing away. but there was moss of the bottom and then big leafy branches on the left and on the right. probably a bit longer than a fooot and the were about 6 inches thick of leaves and littler branchs. we also had a water bowl for him on the left. thank you for all your help. i really appreciate it!

Attachments

• terrarium.jpg
    terrarium.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 61
If you do get a fountain I would recommend cleaning it out every day. They tend to accumulate a lot of bacteria. Like if your chameleon defecated in it you don't want that in his drinking water. Also other methods work great like a misting system such as aqua zamp or a mist king system that you can get for about $100. Those come with timers so you don't have to worry about misting them when your at work.

There is a lot of good husbandry advice being given here so I won't add anything. Carlton, Julia, and Carol in particular are very knowledgeable and I always pay attention when they give advice.

I think the thing being glossed over here is the high likelihood of moss impaction being the cause of death. This is a hugely common mistake in my opinion. Even the local reptile store that breeds chams and is fantastic for care uses moss in their cages. Some substrates are okay but moss is bad and until you are experienced I think no substrate is the best.

I hope you take this as a learning opportunity and keep at the hobby!

Chameleons are pretty much the hardest to require care of, once it involves reptiles, and generally things will get it wrong although you bought everything right with the cultivation, particularly if it's your initial cham.

Back
Top Bottom