Necrotic tail?!?!

torizazu

:mad: Hey, so my little tardy cham that has to have calcium injections has a major problem and I was wondering if anyone had seen this before. His first show did no damage, however his second shot made his tail look like this (pics below). It has been almost 2 weeks since his last shot, and I just noticed his tail like this :(

One side is perfectly normal, but the other side is black and has a bulge where he received the injection. We have an appt for Friday to look at this problem at the vet but I was wondering if anyone thinks this could be rotting skin :( So horrible.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Oh no! I have heard of necrosis happening from tail injections (with anything, even blood draws). But it may be just a bruise? I know bruises take a long time to resolve. I'd be more inclined at this point to say bruise just because it's only one side...but I don't actually have any personal experience with it. Maybe someone with more experience with this can offer some more advice on it. I hope it resolves though, your little boy is so beautiful!!

Last edited:
Ferret, I love you. Thank you. That at least offers me some hope. I'm just worried sick about him and having a mental break down at the moment. It's not crunchy or dried out like I would expect dead tissue to be :( IDK...

Why are the injections being given in the tail?? I thought that they should be given in the upper half of the body or maybe even in the arms because of their renal system. I know with antibiotics if they are given "below the waist" so to speak they are said to go straight out through the renal system and not do any good. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh no :( The vet said it was because it is a fatty area :( I hope someone has some insight on this :( He seems to be improving since the shots though...

I don't know about chams, but dogs get fatty lumps sometimes when they get older and live fine with them.

i have had chams that had ringworms removed ( a wc panther years back) and after that he had a large black curcular bruise that stayed there for a few month but color slowly returned..it looks to be just very irritated, and bruised..i think it will heal, especially since it is biased on one side...good luck and best wishes!!

I think its a bruise as well and will heal. but keep us updated about what the vet says. poor guy I hope he gets better!

Why are the injections being given in the tail?? I thought that they should be given in the upper half of the body or maybe even in the arms because of their renal system. I know with antibiotics if they are given "below the waist" so to speak they are said to go straight out through the renal system and not do any good. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My thoughts exactly actually. Generally injections are given in the legs, especially when tail necrosis is known to be a possible complication. I know we always give in the legs for turtles and iguanas, and iguanas have a very meaty tail...but I'm still basing most things on theory rather than actual experience yet so I wasn't sure if maybe something else was at play or the vet had some further insight or experiences to help them make that decision.

And you are correct about the renal portal system, but with calcium injections it shouldn't be a concern to my knowledge like it would be for antibiotics or other things because the gut is what absorbs the calcium rather than the kidneys. Toxicity to the kidneys is also a concern with the renal portal system when injecting drugs.

I agree with kingyonga that you may want to talk to your vet about giving the injection elsewhere, like alternating in the limbs. Don't use the same limb every time though because it will bruise and be painful with multiple injections. How long do you have to continue giving these injections? And I would keep a close eye on that puckered part at the edge of the dark part nearer to the base of the tail, looks like it's primed for abscess or infection to develop there so watch for oozing.

That's exactly what I was afraid of! The injection site is very bubbly and kind of hard, I was concerned about a cyst or an abscess :( I am taking him in tomorrow instead of Friday. I'll keep you guys updated.

FINGERS CROSSED FOR "JUST A BRUISE!!!!"

Thanks ferret! I'm glad someone could contribute to what I said!
I knew what I said about the renal system was true for antibiotics.
I always alternate the arms (I don't use the legs) when doing antibiotic shots.

So then when the calcium is injected into the arm it ends up in the gut to be absorbed??

So then when the calcium is injected into the arm it ends up in the gut to be absorbed??

I will have to get back to you on this one. ;) I remember learning this and thinking it sounded odd as well...and I remember looking into further but the results escape me at the moment with everything else going on. I'll get back to you about it though!

And the legs vs arms is definitely something to consider. I've used both for turtles and just legs of iguanas so far, but I made sure the drugs weren't nephrotoxic or metabolized primarily by the kidneys so it wasn't much of a concern. Just depends on what's being given. I'd definitely stick to just arms with certain things or if there's any doubt.

Back
Top Bottom