Natural habitat

Leighqt

I’ve noticed my Cham being slow moving,taking time to come round get his body moving after temperature drops overnight. This is a very vulnerable time for them in their natural habitat I wonder how do they protect themselves at this time. My Cham ( Drago) tends to sleep on the same branch in his enclosure,this branch is one which actually would be quite exposed so don’t know if hiding is how they protect themselves or the fact that they are very still.

Any thoughts on my early morning question ,whilst I have a cuppa

I’ve noticed my Cham being slow moving,taking time to come round get his body moving after temperature drops overnight. This is a very vulnerable time for them in their natural habitat I wonder how do they protect themselves at this time. My Cham ( Drago) tends to sleep on the same branch in his enclosure,this branch is one which actually would be quite exposed so don’t know if hiding is how they protect themselves or the fact that they are very still.

Any thoughts on my early morning question ,whilst I have a cuppa

Most predator eyes search for motion, so a cham that is completely still doesn't "look" like prey. To show brighter patchy coloration also helps break up a recognizable silhouette. They don't look like an animal, they look like background scatter. Some chams select a sleeping branch at the perimeter of a tract of forest where they can get exposure to warmth of the sun sooner the next morning. That much quicker to reach operating temp. I remember walking through Madagascar forests and seeing little pygmy chams curled up asleep clutching the tips of fern fronds. They looked like drops of rain or dew, not dinner.

Yes I kinda thought as much, I’m new to the world of these amazing creatures and loving just watching pondering and questioning so many thanks for confirming for me. I bet it was amazing seeing the apygmies in Madagascar.

Often they turn bright colors when sleeping, so it is likely seen as venomous or dangerous to predators.

Most of the time he is dark when sleeping , but as soon as I turn the lights on puffs himself up and his skin does lighten , and he gives me a really pissed off look so I then move away from the enclosure whilst he comes round.

Last edited:
Here he is still sleepy
A9101F67-0CE8-4085-957E-B4732B0D99B2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom