Nails...

EveryGreen

Established Member
so as most of us know, as a chameleon gets older and bigger its nails get longer and sharper. well coopers, have been getting unbearingly sharp (almost puncuring skin) and especially when he thinks hes about to fal off my hand.

well i was wodering (dont call me dumb for asking if its obvious) but is there any sort of way to help this not happen?

No, not really. Don't ever cut your chameleon's nails, because they need them to climb and grip. You can wear a glove if it's too bad, but it's just something that we keepers deal with. My panther wasn't bad at all, but my veiled can really pierce that soft flesh between my my fingers.

No, not really. Don't ever cut your chameleon's nails, because they need them to climb and grip. You can wear a glove if it's too bad, but it's just something that we keepers deal with. My panther wasn't bad at all, but my veiled can really pierce that soft flesh between my my fingers.
thats what my brother told me, ill just try and hold him somewhere it doesnt hurt. like you said in between the fingers it is the worst

If you can get him to walk up your forearm a little that helps because the skin there (at least on the outside of your arm and not the underside), is pretty tough. Or, you can get him on a stick and hold the stick, but that's not as much fun :D

yea i guess i could grab a stick or hold him when hes tired (grip is never as strong as when he thinks hes about to die)

What about putting some sort of natural mail file in the cage? Like a big piece of lava rock, or pumice stone, so they naturally wear a little on their own? Echo's nails are getting to be little daggers, to, and i was wondering what i could do.

Put in branches with a bigger diameter so he can't wrap his paws around it completely, his nails should wear down at least a bit that way.

Maybe even find a harder type of wood to help this process.

Meh i clip the hypodermic needles that grow off the nails every 6 months. I do not clip "the nail". No one has had traction control problems in 25 years, and family members enjoy not having a pattern of 5 red dots all over their arms.

Meh i clip the hypodermic needles that grow off the nails every 6 months. I do not clip "the nail". No one has had traction control problems in 25 years, and family members enjoy not having a pattern of 5 red dots all over their arms.
yea i always have red dots on my arms from him

Back
Top Bottom