Nail ripped out :( Not using that leg

jaredg87

My male Meller's Chameleon has been great up untill about 2 days ago. He seems to have torn out a claw on his Hind leg and is no longer using it. That leg is hiked up right high with that foot clenched tight. There is blood and yellow puss. I have been cleaning it with plain bottled water but he seems to be getting tired from holding himself up on 3 legs. He is a Full grown Mellers so he is pretty massive. I can get him to drink water if i hand drip and he looks at the crickets but has not eaten but 1 ive seen that came into his head range. He lacks the ability to move around allot with that one leg. Should I just keep trying to put large vines under him to rest on and cleaning the wound. I can make bug juice if needed. I'll give him one more day on that note.
i'm already working on lining the entire inner cage with plastic loopholes so he no longer has to use screen and can grip what would be like a 6 pack of soda plastic thingies.
Sorry I'm just ranting on Any info at all on this? I can post pics of before and after cause i just did a shoot so I have a pic of the before and 2 days later the After photo :(
Thanks so much

My male Meller's Chameleon has been great up untill about 2 days ago. He seems to have torn out a claw on his Hind leg and is no longer using it. That leg is hiked up right high with that foot clenched tight. There is blood and yellow puss. I have been cleaning it with plain bottled water but he seems to be getting tired from holding himself up on 3 legs. He is a Full grown Mellers so he is pretty massive. I can get him to drink water if i hand drip and he looks at the crickets but has not eaten but 1 ive seen that came into his head range. He lacks the ability to move around allot with that one leg. Should I just keep trying to put large vines under him to rest on and cleaning the wound. I can make bug juice if needed. I'll give him one more day on that note.
i'm already working on lining the entire inner cage with plastic loopholes so he no longer has to use screen and can grip what would be like a 6 pack of soda plastic thingies.
Sorry I'm just ranting on Any info at all on this? I can post pics of before and after cause i just did a shoot so I have a pic of the before and 2 days later the After photo :(
Thanks so much

Your cham is in serious pain (consider how much a torn fingernail hurts you), and the infection needs immediate attention! Don't put the vet visit off...chams can lose toes to infections like this and it obviously needs antibiotics.

I Called the Vet they are all out on lunch I will call again in 30 minutes. Closest vet is a couple hours away but its early so hopefully we can figure something out quick.

Seems we have a new vet in town like 15 minutes away both vets have over 10 years of experience with reptiles and exotics. I'm so grateful and happy this happened in my city! I have an appointment today so I'll post later with what the vet says. Cross your fingers everybody!

ok So I got back from the vet about an hour ago. Turns out he did not tear off a nail but an entire finger! Meller Chameleons have 5 seperate individual fingers and one that looked like the nail ripped off was actually dangling from the bone
:( The doctor amputated that one finger and sutured the wound to stop the bleeding. He cleaned out like 2 q tips of yellow gunk and was squeezing it all out it was heart breaking. The good news is the hand finished surgery is now healing, the swelling has gone down allot and he is holding himself with that hand again.
he also gave him a shot of baytril
a shot of b-12
and vitamin B complex

gave me 7 syringes with metronidazole suspension to help increase his appetite. I use them every 24 hours.

Im due back in 48 hours for a couple more injections and a check up.

The doc said his color would change for a while with the injections right now he is allot darker than usual but seems to be holding himself better.
Hopefully things look up from here. He has drank water but I have not seen him eat yet.

His cage is already lined to make sure this never happens again.
Poor guy has been a champ. he squeezed me so hard during the injections it hurt but I was there.
I'll keep up to date thanks everyone.

So sorry so hear about your cham! But so glad you took him to the vet before anything worse happened. Best of luck to your little guy :)

Wow. I didn't expect this. I'm so sorry for your little one. Should be able to adapt, but I hope he isn't in too much pain. :eek:

me either! It was a shock and so horrible looking:(
He's asleep right now I hope his meds are working magic right now. my fingers are crossed

Back
Top Bottom