Mystery Product

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just got my order from Josh’s Frogs today.

I ordered 250 3/4” crickets, 12 hornworms and 20 egg crates. In the box was the below package and I have no idea what it is. It’s not labeled. At first I thought it was extra hornworm food but it’s a lighter color than what comes with the hornworms. Any idea what it is?

A9A36239-B108-45FC-9AAD-B8A9385F245B.jpeg

I order my crickets from joshs frogs as well and get that exact item. I assumed it was a package warmer of some sort and just toss it. Usually there will be a heat pack in the box with the crickets as well but different from the one above. Never really put too much thought into it and just assumed they were 2 different types of heat packs maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong idk? :LOL:

On another note, Chuck those egg cartons and buy some cork flats (or rounds) :). Much cheaper in the long run and more natural!

You can just rinse them off when they get to frass covered, they don't rot or mold or get bacteria ridden like those egg crates.

On another note, Chuck those egg cartons and buy some cork flats (or rounds) :). Much cheaper in the long run and more natural!

You can just rinse them off when they get to frass covered, they don't rot or mold or get bacteria ridden like those egg crates.
I’m with cyber on this one, I use cork flats for my roaches. I still use egg crates with the crickets and hate it

Mind linking where you are buying them from? The flats/rounds I bought when I made my enclosure weren't cheap at all.

Mind linking where you are buying them from? The flats/rounds I bought when I made my enclosure weren't cheap at all.

Oh there not cheap to start, they are cheaper in the long run.

The egg flats are cheap to buy, but they need replaced frequently. The corks are a more expense up front, but they never need replaced.

https://www.neherpetoculture.com/woodnatural

Nerherps bulk options, like the gallon bags is good. Or just buying flats and rounds.

Say we replace the crates with 10-13 flats (and mix in some rounds, but let's just say the flat for now)

That's 8 dollars. So that means it cost as much as 16 egg crates. Your supposed to replace egg crates 2 times per week, because they get nasty. Let's say once a week you replace though.

16 weeks = 4 months. So after 4 months the cork has equaled the same cost as the crates. Anything beyond 4 months, the cost of the cork stops, the cost of egg crates keeps going.

So not only is Cork more natural, and cleaner (cardboard is a serious harbor of bacteria) it's cheaper, in the long run. However it costs more upfront.

I keep my roaches and my crickets with cork works great for me. I don't buy 250 crickets at time though, I have a smaller cricket Viv, which I aim to replace soon.

Last edited:
This is the response I just got from Josh's Frogs. I guess it is a type of heat pack.

Hello!
Thank you for reaching out to us! The white substance you got in the shipment is Josh's Frogs EcoTherm.
EcoTherm Phase Change Shipping Packs are designed to help keep temperatures stable during shipping. The product has a high specific heat - it takes a lot of energy for it to change temperature, and turns from solid to liquid at 74F. EcoTherm Shipping Packs will help buffer temps when using ice or heat packs, and help avoid extreme temperature swings during shipping.
To Dispose: Simply dispose of the liquid as you would food waste - it's organic and even compostable! The plastic envelope can be recycled.

Thank You,
Ashley

Huh! Cool. I dont order from josh frogs anymore but when I did I never got anything like that. Stopped ordering from them because they always came half dead, as they never put heating/cooling packs in the box when I ordered.

Back
Top Bottom