My Weekend....

TylerStewart

Right Wing Extremist
Site Sponsor
I've had the strangest thing happening the past couple days, and had to share the story and maybe ask for advice...

Thursday morning: I had just gotten out of bed around 5:15AM, hearing my dogs barking at something in the yard. I looked out my window and saw what appeared to be a big cat run full speed right past my window with my dogs in close pursuit. I didn't get a good look at it, as it was dark and I just saw it out of the corner of my eye. Didn't think much of it.

Thursday night: I'm in my kitchen at around 9PM, and out in my backyard, in the dark I can vaguely see what appears to be another dog with long hair out there with my 2 dogs (mine are shorthair, so it wasn't familiar). I go out there to see a little nasty looking sheepdog (maybe a collie?) black and white, basically trying to hump my female bullmastiff! I'm very protective of my dogs and obviously the tortoises I have out there, so I run out there yelling at it, and it ran out the sideyard and jumped over the same 6' block wall that it apparently jumped over to get into my yard.

Friday night: Around 1AM (Saturday morning), I wake up to the sound of my wife's voice as she's screaming at the same damn dog back there doing the same damn thing (she caught it trying to mount my dog). Right as I look out the window, I see the dog run out that same sideyard. I sat in front of a sideyard window for an hour after that with a 4' piece of PVC pipe in my hand waiting for this thing to come back. It never did.

Saturday night: My wife was working the night shift, so I'm home alone, sleeping with the back window open to listen for anything going on. Again, around 1AM (Sunday morning), I wake up and can hear the gravel right outside the window being rustled around, like the dogs are up to something out there. Instead of giving it the opportunity to make the same escape it's made 3 times before, I went around the front of the house in my pajamas (underwear) with my trusty PVC pipe. As I'm going around the front corner of my house into the sideyard, this dog is coming over the wall right at me. It scared the crap out of both of us. By the time I could react, the dog had bolted past me at about 40mph right down the middle of the street into the darkness. I swore I saw a different dog go back into my backyard, so I ran through the house looking for it out back. I walk outside onto my back patio, look left, look right, nothing... Then I look right in front of me and there's this tall lanky dog (a good sized dog, probably at least 110-120 lbs) standing right in the middle of my lawn. Again, scared the crap out of me. The thing looks over at me and starts it's run around the sideyard. This time, it's me in full pursuit. I still had my pipe in my hands, and wasn't going to be able to catch the dog by the time it made it around my house, so I chucked the pipe at it as a last ditch effort to instill some fear into these things, and I didn't miss. It hopped right over the wall like the first dog. I ended up keeping my dogs inside that night and again last night.

So my options are getting progressively more hostile towards these things as reoccurence happens, so I figured I'd ask if anyone had any ideas to keep someone else's dogs out of my yard. It's gotta be neighbor dogs probably from someone 5-10 houses down, as I live basically in a small neighborhood surrounded by desert. There's not much of a population out there, and dogs couldn't come from too far. Even if I can prevent them from coming over that side, they still have the option of the other side if they really wanted to, and my tortoises are as big of a concern for me as anything (I sometimes leave little babies outside overnight with the nice weather this time of year). My dogs have finally learned to leave the torts alone, but these other dogs would probably carry them off in a heartbeat if they found them.

Take my pre-emptive apology to anyone who is bothered by the fact that I'm having violent thoughts about these dogs, but there's only a few things in life that can really infuriate me, and these dogs were really pushing those boundaries.

I also thought of the paintball gun thing... And between my wife and I, we have about 6 of them (she had bought a set for her family to use a few years ago). I keep thinking that these dogs are going to keep coming back until they realize that it hurts to come over here, so I don't have much faith in an extra course of block or two on the wall. They get over it like it's a curb. I don't want to trap it, because if I was actually able to catch it, I'd end up driving it an hour into the desert and letting it go, plus I don't wanna buy the trap just because some neighbor can't control their dogs. I feel bad keeping my dogs in at night, and they are good guard dogs (we had a few of my buddies hop my back wall at night to see what happened, and it wasn't pretty), so I hate to keep them confined to the house at night.

I feel like I have a teenage daughter with boys sneaking over in the middle of the night... My first reaction is to kill LOL....

Hi Tyler,
Kind of sounds like me with the stupid raccoons. Is your female in heat? If she is no matter what you do the males will find her unless you keep her in the house. You could catch the males and have them neutered I guess too, then they won't be doing that again!

Set some raw steaks out each night laced with laxatives. They will avoid your place after a few nights of that, and if that doesn't work , I'm sure the owners will keep 'em leashed to avoid the aftermath of laxative ingestion...LOL

Both of my females were in heat about 2 months ago (at about the same time), so they're pretty far from being in heat right now... I do think it would be hilarious to catch the males and get them fixed. Let them go with one of those cones on their heads. I wonder what the families would think LOL... I'll probably go on a walk with my dogs later tonight, and as the dogs bark at us through the gates, I'll hopefully see the dogs and I can leave a nasty note on the door of whichever house they're at. I think I know where to look, give or take 5 houses.

"To whom it may concern, if I catch your damn dogs in my damn backyard at 1 AM again, they won't be coming home. Sincerely, your neighbor"

Tylene, you coming by Pomona?

Well if she is not in heat, you have some horny dogs in your neighborhood! We bred Shih Tzu's for years and darn it if every time we let them out unsupervised, while in heat, even for a few minutes, some ugly mutt would show up. We had a few litters of Shih-oodles and Dach-a-tzu's!.

Tyler, did I read your wife is gravid? Congrats! Do you know what you are having?

Yes we are coming to the Pomona show, at least one day. Did you find any toys to sell at the show too? I'm telling you, it gets the parents to come back to your stall at least one more time!

Anyway, about the dogs, how about a bear trap? HAHA I'm kidding!

If these dogs are owned by someone, I think go with the paintball gun or come up with some rank obnoxious rotten goo to throw on them and then hope they go home.

If your dogs are not fixed, I would not leave them outside.

Sounds like your female is in heat and the local males are ready and willing.

i would string a hot wire around the top of your fence. I think you can probably get a complete kit for it for about $40 and as soon as that dog jumps across and gets shocked i bet that will be his last trip over

land mines, YUP...land mines, solution to all your problems.

ah but seriously. pit traps..no wait..

honestly id just stick with the paint balls. maybe freeze them a little as if they didn't hurt enough.. that could become lethal, better not freeze them.

just fortify your fences.....make surey ou have no gaps or nothing.

I think tyler's point is that he can't keep staying up all night long staking out his own house.

Can you call the pound?

My father in law used a sling shot with an arm brace and sugar cubes. He said it worked great. If you've got pricey torts in your yard..I'd consider protecting your investment with a trap of some sort.

i get what your saying.. yah in all honesty id try to catch the animals, and call the humane society. make sure they're owners know whats up and the fines will make sure they keep there animals in their own yards.

Yep, my wife is gravid, and we're due in late March. It'll be another boy to match my current one. She'll be pretty big when you meet her in Pomona.

I thought of slingshot also and have one, but it's typically a fast moving target, so a paintball gun might work better so I could get off a few shots. Plus, when their owner sees paintball marks on them, hopefully they'll get the hint.

They're not in heat right now. They were in heat 2 months ago, and it is pretty clear when a 110 pound dog is in heat (I had to clean up the mess).

I'm going to start by looking for the dogs as I walk the block. There's dogs in almost every yard barking at people that walk by, so I should be able to see them. I'll have a pre-written note in my pocket ready to stick on their door.

My tortoises are as big a concern of mine getting hurt or taken by the other dogs. I do have some real pricey torts back there. They are a big part of the reason we even got dogs (to keep an eye on them), and a part of the reason we went with bullmastiffs (they're good guard dogs). We raised the first one from 7 weeks old with tortoises so she'd leave them alone; the other one took some work but she's good now (we got her at almost a year old). They're good when people jump over or stick their heads over they bark and growl (we've done some testing), and they're pretty intimidating dogs. They're just not very agressive to other dogs (I didn't want them to be, until now). We're going to get one of the dogs spayed soon (the bullmastiff x bordeaux cross), the other (AKC Bullmastiff) we're keeping the breeding option open for later down the road.

I'm going to see what it costs to get one of the little silent alarm - deterrents that goes off with a high pitched sound that only dogs can hear, set on a motion detector, and put it where they're coming into the yard from. I might raise the wall another course also if I can find matching block (I laid the sidewall block myself a few months ago). Even if I get rid of this set of dogs, I do see the potential for it happening again, even though I didn't think a 6' wall would be so easy to get over. I don't think mine could get over a 4' wall.

To call the pound or humane society, they'd have to be able to catch it or see it there I would think. If I just called and told them what was happening, what could they do?

Last edited:
Tyler, i know you can buy pheromones online from wolves and crap that supposedly will ward off dogs. You spray it around the area you don't want them and the scent scares them off. Hopefully you figure out the culprit dog during your walk. Good luck.

You could go the cheap route. Bullets cost about 37 cents a piece! That is if you already have a gun. J/K:rolleyes: I got lucky, there were two cats pissing all over my pourch, a month or so later I found them as two pancakes on the street.

Back
Top Bottom