My veiled is walking around on the ground...please help?

DJ PYGO

Ok, I have just moved my chameleon into her new viv.

It's dimensions are 6ft high x 3ft wide and 2ft deep, the top of her viv is screened as well as the entire front of her viv, she has a ficus tree in there, MANY vines, a basking spot of 90 degrees, 30w repti glo uvb 8.0, There is a dripper on constant, she's sprayed once or twice a day.
Her diet is, locusts, crix, mealies, waxies, fruit beetle grubs, buffallo worms, roaches and moths. 1 food item a day is supplemented with a regime of;
mondays/wednesdays/fridays = calcium
tuesdays/thursdays/saturdays = reptivite
No supplements sundays

All are gutloaded well. Her veg consists of pak choi, watercress, sweet potato and sometimes carrot or squash grated which she's usually a big fan of.

All foods except locusts and moths are in feeder tubs fitted between vines.

substrate is newspaper.

She is not eating much as she did before her new home, on many occasions I've caught her walking around on the ground or on her way down the tree, I have no idea what she is doing and it makes no sense to me that she be there. She is now 6months old and has started showing colours of blue and yellow mixed in with her light green.
She does not appear stressed, is drinking but lightly dehydrated.

I can't get my head around why she is behaving this way, can someone please help me???:confused::(

Many thanks for your help

Rob

Get something like a 5 gallon garbage can or bucket and some play sand. I also use bed-a beast (coconut fiber) mixed with sand. If she starts to dig you will need to wet the sand so that she can make a tunnel. Search the forum for advice on this as there is alot out there.

Get something like a 5 gallon garbage can or bucket and some play sand. I also use bed-a beast (coconut fiber) mixed with sand. If she starts to dig you will need to wet the sand so that she can make a tunnel. Search the forum for advice on this as there is alot out there.

Thanks Julirs!! She's been doing this for the 3rd day now, how far along do you think she is to laying??

They usually start walking around the bottom anywhere from a week to a few days before laying-they are all different. I have a female that should be laying anytime (or so I think). she is 7 months old.

This maybe a dumb question, but do female chameleons lay eggs even if they have not mated with a male?

Yes, they can and do lay eggs without being mated, they just aren't fertile, unless they have retained sperm from a previous mate....

Thanks, does it matter at what point the sperm is introduced as to weather the eggs will be fertile or not? And when do panthers start laying eggs? How many months normally?

If the eggs have already started when the sperm is introduced then the female may lay a clutch of infertile eggs followed by a clutch of fertile (or mostly fertile) eggs....or the next clutch she has may contain some fertile eggs and some infertile ones. The next clutch after this could also contain fertile and infertile eggs. It all depends on where she is in her cycle when the mating occurs.

Here's a picture of her...

DCFC0078Large.jpg

DCFC0084Large.jpg

I've got the laying site ready for her...now just have to wait to see what happens...

She has not been eating much or at all...is this normal for her before laying?

What should I do?

Haven't seen her near it yet but it's definatly within reach for her, there's vines into it from the base of the ficus tree.

Back
Top Bottom