My veiled chameleon won't eat. Help!

Hi sigurros27. The one feeder i can't get in the uk is hornworms for moisture content so I can get and give my one a week is pachnoda grub

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20200820-133854_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133854_Chrome.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 83
yes
His dish at the bottom of the cage is for feeding, correct? Looks like a bowl, but it could be a rock or something. I'm also seeing substrate. You want to remove that. They do not need any and can accidentally ingest it when eating a feeder if one gets to the bottom.
yes the bowl on the bottom is for feeding but I read somewhere they want there food at they're basking area so I am working on trying to get I up there

yes

yes the bowl on the bottom is for feeding but I read somewhere they want there food at they're basking area so I am working on trying to get I up there

Yes, they are naturally animals that live up in trees (arboreal) so you want the feeder dish somewhere close to the top.

Your enclosure is incorrectly set up for a chameleon... Your also not using a UVB light. See my feedback in Red Bold.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, Male, 10 moths, he has been in my care for 5 days now
Handling - He handel him once a day or every other day but only is he walks to my hand. You should not be handling him at all. It will cause more stress.
Feeding - I feed him Cricket and fox-worms and I gut-load them with greens and cat-food. I try to feed him everyday. Cat food should never be fed to feeders. Only fresh veg or a commercial gutload.
Supplements - I haven't bought any supplements because of covid but I ordered som yesterday. What did you order?
Watering - I have seen my chameleon drink when I mist the enclosure I use a misting system. How often and how long are you misting for? Are you spraying the fake plant for him to drink off it?
History - The other owner did not take good care of him and he just sheeted.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Its a glass cage... Are there ventilation panels at the bottom? If not this will not work for a chameleon. It will hold stagnant air. This in turn can create an area of bacteria growth that can cause an RI.
Lighting - I don't know right know but I just bought some new UBV lights T5 5.0. Did he not have UVB lighting prior to you having him? If not then you have more to worry about like MBD> Without UVB lighting and being able to bask at the correct distance below it this lowers their appetite along with many other things.
Temperature - Basking spot is 27-30 celsius and the rest of the cage is about 22-24 celsius.... How are you measuring your "basking" temp? 30 is on the higher end. Should be more like 27-28.
Humidity - I don't use living plant but I want to buy some soon, he just have a fake one and a lort of tree. .. Fake plants are dangerous for Veiled chams... see the veiled tested plants on this list. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
Placement - he is the highest spot in my room and is area my bed.
Location -Denmark

You should start reading this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

He looks extremely thin and frail. I would not be surprised if there is a parasite issue going on as well. A vet can run a fecal to determine this.

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Your enclosure is incorrectly set up for a chameleon... Your also not using a UVB light. See my feedback in Red Bold.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, Male, 10 moths, he has been in my care for 5 days now
Handling - He handel him once a day or every other day but only is he walks to my hand. You should not be handling him at all. It will cause more stress.
Feeding - I feed him Cricket and fox-worms and I gut-load them with greens and cat-food. I try to feed him everyday. Cat food should never be fed to feeders. Only fresh veg or a commercial gutload.
Supplements - I haven't bought any supplements because of covid but I ordered som yesterday. What did you order? Calcium
Watering - I have seen my chameleon drink when I mist the enclosure I use a misting system. How often and how long are you misting for? Are you spraying the fake plant for him to drink off it? I mist twice a day and for tow min
History - The other owner did not take good care of him and he just sheeted.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Its a glass cage... Are there ventilation panels at the bottom? If not this will not work for a chameleon. It will hold stagnant air. This in turn can create an area of bacteria growth that can cause an RI. I don't know anything about the cage because the other owner don't know anything too.
Lighting - I don't know right know but I just bought some new UBV lights T5 5.0. Did he not have UVB lighting prior to you having him? If not then you have more to worry about like MBD> Without UVB lighting and being able to bask at the correct distance below it this lowers their appetite along with many other things. No he did not come with an UVB light and has never had one.
Temperature - Basking spot is 27-30 celsius and the rest of the cage is about 22-24 celsius.... How are you measuring your "basking" temp? 30 is on the higher end. Should be more like 27-28.
Humidity - I don't use living plant but I want to buy some soon, he just have a fake one and a lort of tree. .. Fake plants are dangerous for Veiled chams... see the veiled tested plants on this list. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
Placement - he is the highest spot in my room and is area my bed.
Location -Denmark

You should start reading this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

He looks extremely thin and frail. I would not be surprised if there is a parasite issue going on as well. A vet can run a fecal to determine this.

View attachment 286876View attachment 286877

Calcium is not enough info...
Chameleons need phos free calcium without D3 at all feedings then 2 times a month Calcium with D3 and 2 times a month multivitamin.

I am afraid you will need to get another enclosure. That one will not work. From what I see the size does not look correct either but the fact that I do not see any venting strips means there is no airflow.

I strongly suggest reading through everything at this link... You will need to make changes quickly but also correctly due to his current condition. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I would also suggest getting the fecal run. The fact that he is so extremely thin even though the old owner says he was eating means there is another issue. If it is due to parasites he will need treatment.

Back
Top Bottom