my stubborn & burnt fool.

parisaurusrex

Somehow, Ziggy managed to burn/scrape the top of his casque. I'm not even sure how he did this to himself since I made sure his tallest basking perch was 7 inches from the top of the cage, and the lamp is another 3 above that! But he does like to sometimes stand on his back legs whilst on his basking perch. So I guess its possible. And when he's doing his daily laps around the cage.. he often times miscalculates where he can fit and will push himself through, I've seen him rub his casque pretty harshly on a branch before!
It's not an open wound.. more or less it looks "charred"
I've put neosporin on it to prevent infection, and I read that coconut oil is good to keep it hydrated.. but he's less than keen on that process!

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with casque burns.. is coconut oil good? or should I just stop stressing him out and leave it alone? also, does the scab come off? or will his little head look like this forever?

Its hard to see, and its not a terrible burn, but its there! Here are some pics - I'm sorry they are sideways, I don't know why they do that, they weren't sideways when I took them!

edit:
that white clear type stuff on his head is because he was starting a shed! He's in full shed mode today, his entire head except where that burn is! I realized it looked weird in the pictures..

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 137
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 148
It might just be a bruise or something too? I would just leave it alone and let him finish his shed. Make sure you are misting him really good to aid with the shed. Also can I see a picture of your cage so I can see how he might have done this.

If its a bruise, I know exactly how he did it! He explores the cage daily, and will squish himself between spots where he would otherwise fit, if it weren't for his tall casque. He'll scrape his head along either the cage wall, or a branch. Whatever is in his way! I recently updated his cage with new plants and what not, and tried my best to make sure there weren't any spots that he couldn't fit through, but somehow he still finds them.

He's got a schefflera, a hanging pothos, and a dracaena on the floor.
There are about ten dowels more towards the top of the cage, two large drift wood branches going through the plant to the bottom, and the walls are lined with faux vines to prevent him from climbing on the screen!

Thanks for the reply, I have been doing extra mistings since he is shedding! Much to his disliking ;)

This picture is probably sideways too.. I'm sorry! I guess I should stop uploading iPhone photos!

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 113
Omar does the very same thing at his basking spot! He got what looked like a small burn on the tip of his casque. That standing up to bask thing is the only possible way he could have done it. Since that happened I angled his basking lamp and he doesn't seem to do it as much. His healed with no intervention needed.

Back
Top Bottom