My Rudis had babies!!!

Thanks for all the advise everyone! I picked up the fruit flies and my crickets and these crickets seems a little larger then the last batch and they so far are staying in the cage. I put some fruit flies in with a piece of banana like suggested and I actually saw one of the babies eat a fruit fly!

The blue one is what I am currently keeping my rudis in right now is this too small for five of them? the other one is the cage I could move them too if it is.

Attachments

• baby cage.jpg
    baby cage.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_2428.JPG
    100_2428.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 183
remember uvb doesnt penetrate plastic so having the plastic top is rendering the bulbs useless. If i were you i'd go buy a few 10gallon aquariums with screen tops for them. They seem to be the housing of choice for keeping babies on a budget. Or get rubbermaid containers with an open top, as long as they cant crawl out.

Hey all! The rudis babies are doing well. I have a couple that seem a little slow when it comes to catching their food and are starting to look a little on the thin side compaired to the others, so my question is I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is ok to catch some afids from outside and try those since they are small and slow.

Hey all! The rudis babies are doing well. I have a couple that seem a little slow when it comes to catching their food and are starting to look a little on the thin side compaired to the others, so my question is I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is ok to catch some afids from outside and try those since they are small and slow.

my brevs wont even eat afids... i suppose since they blend into things to well... but im sure u can try

As for any species of baby chams, as they grow, they need to be separated according to size so they don't have to compete for food with their larger siblings.

They are only 6 days old. Should they already be seperated? Most of them are doing good, but I just have a couple that are REALLY slow when it comes to eating. I watch them all eat and drink, but there are two that just can not catch food no matter how hard they try. They will even hit the fruit flies with their tounge but do not catch the fly...

Hello

My good friend Brandy raises her rudis babies in groups whereas I've had more success with my montane babies when raised separately. That said, I believe the rudis can be raised in small groups unlike other ovoviviparous species like the werneri and merumontanus for example.

Live bearer babies are also notoriously hard to raise in captivity and success rates are still very low. They seem to do well until about 6 to 8 weeks of age and quickly go downhill from there. If you have two weak ones already I would separate them from the others to give them a chance at the food. Their caging need not be fancy. Put each baby in their own small Kritter Keeper or Rubbermaid, add a thin stick or two and toss a plant cutting in the bottom There are some excellent, inexpensive caging pics on this thread already. Steal ideas from those!

As for the aphids... I guess you could try? I did an ever so brief search on them and they aren't coming up as being toxic, but check the species native to your area first. I would think aphids would be too small and immotile for rudis babies to be interested in them?!?!?

Are you dusting the FF's and crickets? What's your temperatures and humidity like?

Good luck. Keep me posted.
Trace

I have raised rudis in small groups the most togeather is about 6 but individual caging is ALWAYS the optimum if possible

Well, I have them in a small screen cage with a few plants and some branches. They have the uvb bulb. Their basking area is about 75 and the rest is around 70. I know rudis do not do well with heat so I know not to have them over even 78 from what I have read and been told. I mist them several times a day. I even saw one of the smaller ones with the slow tounge catch 2 flies tonight! They are no longer hanging from the roof of the cage. They mostly relax in the branches. A couple roam and some hide in the plants.
So here are some pix of them tonight, oh and one of daddy!

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Oh this is my favorite pic of the babies so far.....
IMG_0831.jpg

and then here is dad!!

IMG_0818.jpg

Back
Top Bottom