My PLAGUE of BLACKFLIES!

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
Recently I received a box of assorted "Chameleon" feeder insects from Josh's Frogs.
Many of these insects I'd never seen before.
Some like the Black Fly pupae were so small that my 3 fully grown Veiled Chameleons showed no interest in them.
I then made the stupid decision of dumping out the pupae into the potted plants in each cage. (Because maybe they'll eat the flies?)
Well, they've hatched.
And the Chameleons are not eating them!
There are probably 30 to 50 in each cage.
How do I get rid of them without letting them into my house?

I went to Walmart and got fly traps.
Plastic bags with bait inside and a one way plastic entrance. And placed them in 5 places near windows in the house.
Unfortunately by the time I got home, the swarms had doubled.
First thing I did was grab the potted plants and placed them on my porch, flies still emerging.....
Second thing. I took out the chams and placed them into outdoors cages. (I didn't get bitten. But lots of hatred)
For the most part, the zillion fly swarm stayed in the cages. Under the lamps!
I tried to kill them by spraying them with my 70% isopropyl alcohol. The thinking (wishing) was that it'd kill the flies but leave no harmful residue for the Chameleons when they return.
It DID NOT KILL THEM!
It made them ALL fly out of the cages!
I quickly shut the door to the room and noticed that the majority of the flies had flown to a window that had the blinds open.
I removed the window screen and opened the window and the cloud flew out of the room.
I've wire tied open the cages, opened up both windows fully, turned off all lights and placed a towel under the door.
Thankfully I've only seen one single fly in the living room. It also flew to a window, where I promptly smashed it.
I think I've won this battle.
Thank you for your emotional support.

AND I must endorse the BLACK FLY LARVAE from Josh's Frogs.
You certainly get your money's worth!

Back
Top Bottom