My Panther Turned White and its not Shedding. HELP

I have a blue barred ambilobe and it is my first chameleon but I did boat loads of research and have many friends that are reptile experts for any general problems but they said they have never seen this issue with a male panther. His color was amazing when I bought him and for almost 6 months and then one day, he shed and stayed white. He has been like that for 3 months straight and sometimes he has some black spots on his body that go away over night but I am freaked out. I do not want him to die and he is only 2 years old. Anyone know what the problem could be. I will try to put a picture of before and after... Thanks to anyone who can help. I give him dusted without d3 all week and with once every week and a half. Could it be humidity issues?
Here are before and after pics.. HELP ME PLEASE.. I really love him and dont want anything to happen. I thought he might be blinded as well but he eats and spots crickets in my hand the second i pull it out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 1.16.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 1.16.04 AM.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 549
Has he had any outside time? what kind of enclosure is he in? I've never heard of this but I did read that after a long winter indoors that colors can look drab and washed out. Just an idea.

Did you change anything with his habitat right before the change? One of mine went from bright orange to white the day I moved his enclosure to a different room. It took him at least a few months to get back to his old self. Still not totally sure he is as colorful as before the move and that was in January.

No changes to his environment. I live in Miami so there is no winter here. I cleaned the cage but I did that because he already turned white and wanted to completely clean it and he still remains white.. Dont know why??

Calcium d3 should only be used twice a month. Too much D3 can be problematic. Also, are you dusting with multi vitamins? What bulbs are you using? And when was the last time you replaced them?

I'm sure some of them change to a lighter colour to reflect light/heat.

That could be a possibility.

Does he have access to shade or anything like that?

Calcium d3 should only be used twice a month. Too much D3 can be problematic. Also, are you dusting with multi vitamins? What bulbs are you using? And when was the last time you replaced them?

I am dusting them with calcium without D3 only and that is only every other day. What other vitamins should I be using? What should the bulb power be. I have i think a 60 watt heat bulb and a UVB bulb. It is a dual lamp from Zoo Med. Also I am having trouble with the humidity. Every one is telling me different things. If you know the correct humidity, please tell me because I have heard from 10-100% . I do mist 2 to 3 times a day and keep it pretty moist...

not that im even close here but I noticed in the pics he is in a Plexiglas enclosure with thin slits on the side for air flow... do we know what the temp is inside the enclosure?? if its getting too hot for him he may be staying "white" to reflect off a lot of the heat if its getting too hot for him..
may also want to consider a different type of housing for him... they need better air flow than just a few slits on the side of his enclosure to help prevent any type of respiratory issues...
my humidity bounces from a low of 16-20 to a high of 50-60 right after the mister kicks off... mine seems to be ok with this.. gets plenty of water and sheds completely without issue...

doing all i can

Should i keep the dual lamp in the middle of the top of the cage, towards the back or front. I have always had it just a little bit farther back than the middle of the top of the cage. He hangs out usually only in one spot which is on the top top by the mesh kind of near the light but not directly in the heat. What ideas does anyone have for shade. He has the whole bottom of the cage to go to in order to avoid the heat lamp. I have the timer set for 8 hours and off for 16. Like the humidity, I have heard many different things about time of light.

open

The whole top of the cage is mesh wire. It is like there is not top so a lot of air flows in and out. It was made for panthers by a breeder who sells them at reptile shows.

Back
Top Bottom