My panther is a grumpy bastard

Crewdogg15

I got drake a few weeks ago. He is a panther nose be and less than a year old. I let him do his thing and everytime i try to interact he charges me. What can i do? Is it too late for him? Is he pass the time of learning compassion or is he just in a bad mood. I have appopriate light, humidity, foliage, and he eats and poops just fine, hes male, the cage is big enough for him. What gives?

Maybe i should have got a baby but i wanted it sexed..Im lost. Now i have a chameleon im scared to death of. Like having a pet spider

Compassion? That isn't something they do. He's a chameleon. They, in general, do not like people. When you obtain a chameleon, you should always expect for them to be aggressive and hope that they wont be. There are many threads on possible ways to help your chameleon associate you with good things. Showers, sun, food, etc. are some of the bigger things. Do a search.

Baby panthers can be sexed from the moment they are out of the egg.

From what i read and researched panthers are the most friendly. I had a vieled and it was friendly. It loved being held. I didnt realize charging was common.

Give him time. You can also try what I did grab a branch in his cage and set a mealworm on your arm far enough up that he will have to climb on you for it. Do this and let him climb back off a few times. Than after he is not so hesitant walking on your arm try to slowly remove him from the cage. If he hisses or gaps don't jerk just keep calm and let him get back to were he feels safe. Just keep trying but don't make to many attempts at a time. They are not "pets" they are always more of a wild animal kept in captivity.

They can be very aggressive. It is always a good idea to research the animal and it's needs in depth before obtaining one so that 1) you will not be disappointed or surprised and 2) so that the animal gets the best care possible. Just something that you learn from. The chameleon could very well end up being a nice guy with a little work and effort on your part.

Ive had a vieled and have done tons of research. Im not some douche that watched tangled with my kids and then went to petsmart so i could get a lizard that could change into poke-a-dots

I'm not saying you are. I'm just saying that more in-depth research would have resulted in finding out that aggression can be very normal and common. It's not a big deal.

Dang thats crazy he charges u, thats a mystery in its own. At least I think, but just ask questions to some of the senior members they are really nice and well informed inividuals. Good look with ur Cham.

Dang thats crazy he charges u, thats a mystery in its own. At least I think, but just ask questions to some of the senior members they are really nice and well informed inividuals. Good look with ur Cham.

no, that is not really crazy. There are lot of members who cannot handle their chameleons, and they will charge, hiss, gape, etc. For the original poster, I still there is hope but it would obviously have been easier to raise from a baby of course. Try hand feeding. Have you had him out of the cage yet? Sometimes they are more approachable on the outside of their cages more so than in. Try setting a tall potted plant outside the door, open the door and see if you can get him to climb on. Then maybe give it a try approaching him. Try wearing some gloves. Good luck!

I had him out once. I had a glove on. He didnt charge me maybe because the glove was dark. He was super stressed so i put him back after about 2 minutes. I think the branch idea might be good. Guess ill just see what happens. Thanks guys/girls

Thanks Carol for ur reply, When I get my Cham. I'm gonna try to have a big plant for him so he's not always in his cage. thx again

Try hand feeding him with tongs or tweezers that way he learns to recognize you with getting food or even by giving him horn worms. Its like candy for them. Remember, random things can set off different chameleons. There is a cham on here that doesnt like green kool-aid. They are funny little creatures. My cham hates my iPhone just because it is black. my gf has the exact same phone and case but its white and he crawls all over it. He has attacked my phone. So he may not like something on you or in the room near his cage

My male panther isn't the friendliest either. But once I started hand feeding him he started acting friendlier towards me. He will never let me touch him or hold him but he does allow me to sit and watch him or have my hands in his cage while I'm cleaning up and stuff now. He's so nasty about being handled that he has quite the reputation at our old vet's office for his attitude! I think if you figure out a feeder that is a treat for him, one that he absolutely loves, and hand feed those to him then he'll start at least letting you near him in his cage. Mine wouldn't eat anything from my hand until I got some silkworms and now he snatches anything up that I hand to him. He's so used to hand feeding now that he even thought my nail polish was a new exciting insect treat the other day! :eek:

Slow Hand!

My Panther was a little aggressive at first. He was about 8 months old when I brought him home. When I was reaching into his cage he hissed alot. Once I was lowering a feed cup into his cage and was coming from an above angle and he did bite the side of the cup. I started picking him up by keeping my hand closed nothing to bite and I come from below and in front and get my knuckles under his chin as soon as I can touch him under his head he mellows out than I can extend my fingers and he climbs on. He is even more docile out side his enclosure. The first few times I just let him climb around outside his cage, he likes to climb the light chain to the ceiling and hang out.Just move very slow and give him time to relax after he puffs up. Hopefully he will get use to being handled.

Many chams will try to fake you out and lung but not stick it. My veiled is a friendly guy but he tries to scare me off when I reach for him. He never follows through. Give him time. My panther Calais was very skittish when I first got him and would freak when I even opened his cage but is now one of the most friendly panthers out there. He even has a little chammy crush on one of my friends haha

Back
Top Bottom