My own rain system

took me 2 freaking days to find this post after forgetting to bookmark it. my cage will be here by wed and i was wanting to something similar to this for my cham. i had a question for you though- was it necesary for that size of a pump or will a smaller one work ok?

Efficiency?

How efficient do you think this method is verse a more traditional mist king system? I really like the "naturalness" of it and the sound etc. Just wondering what the down sides might be? Less humidity gained, more water throughput etc etc.

Really like it...well done.

Oh, also is the pump loud,noisy or problematic in any way?

How efficient do you think this method is verse a more traditional mist king system? I really like the "naturalness" of it and the sound etc. Just wondering what the down sides might be? Less humidity gained, more water throughput etc etc.

Really like it...well done.

Oh, also is the pump loud,noisy or problematic in any way?

I have not used a misting system however I do feel this method would be much more efficient. Being more natural is the key word in your post. The more natural the better. Chameleons do not get blasted with mist in the wild. Some do not mind it and will sit under a misting system but even the ones who hate being misted should like this method.

Nice set up, OP!

Thanks guys for the comments...I have used this now for about a month and its working great. Haven't had one problem. My chameleons drink like crazy. Every time it starts raining they go to their favorite spot and drink up. They also love the movement from the big water drips hitting the plant leafs.

On the smaller pump question I'm sure anything over 150 gph would work fine.
And on the misting question...the reason why I went this way is because the chameleons are in my room and I have a lot of electronics. Computer huge TV and surround system. So I didn't want abunch of water spraying everywhere. My friend has a mist king and it works great for him. But as I noticed it puts a lot of mist out. I like my area more dry.

I have a much cruder version of this for my pygs. They hate it when I spray them, even when I try not to. So I poked a bunch of small holes in a large round container and it drips down like rain when I fill it up. They're much happier with it! Good idea and nice system for the big guys though!

i very rarely spray anymore, i just turn the rain on four times a day for a few mins, keeps my humidity up in the 60% area and they get plenty of water to drink. they hate being sprayed anyways.

I have two 5 gallon buckets one for fresh water and one for waste water. I fill the fresh water about once a week. And empty the waist water once a week also.

I know I'm digging this up after a couple weeks, but I have a question. What kind of timer is running this? Does anyone have a recommendation for a timer that can program like we need it too..i.e 30-60 seconds every couple hours?

I bought a timer from Mist King and it goes down to increments as small as a second. I remember seeing some minute timers at Wal-mart or the local hardware store, those should work just as well unless you need to break it down beyond a minute.

Ryan, what a terrific idea! Brilliant mate.
Though I just use a large dripper for my cham, im going to rip your idea for my frogs, its perfect! Glad you posted.
It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments! :D

Ryan, what a terrific idea! Brilliant mate.
Though I just use a large dripper for my cham, im going to rip your idea for my frogs, its perfect! Glad you posted.
It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments! :D

Oh man. I did the same thing whenni told my girlfriend. Its ao simple why didnt i think of that. Amazing man good job

Ryan I wanted to bring this thread back up. I have done something similar but was curious what the one piece of misting tube sticking down does or purpose. I think. Read you used a tac or push pin to create the holes?

I did that but unfortunately the holes were too big and shot a small stream out of them so I need up putting shut off valves on it with t fittings but I would much refer not to use the t fittings on my new cage

I just take my power sprayer, stand about 15 feet back from Rico's cage and blast the thing allowing the water to spray through the the screen and all over him. The biggest problem with this method is sometimes he'll get caught in the stream and forced against the back of the cage so I really need to be careful and keep an eye out for where he is in the cage before I pull the trigger.

hahahaha! I seriously laughed out loud at this!!

Hey Ryan,

I noticed you have repticarpet on the floors of your cages?? Do they dry out between each time the rain goes off?

Back
Top Bottom