My other hobby

xraygirl

Established Member
My ORCHIDS :) I have, over 40... I think.

These are my latest bloomers... With 4 more in the works now. They love my bath tub. :)

Attachments

• V. Chulita.JPG
    V. Chulita.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 137
  • V. Chulita2.JPG
    V. Chulita2.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 149
  • harlq phal.JPG
    harlq phal.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 132
I've never tried orchids but I was really tempted to when I was keeping Poison Dart Frogs. I just stuck with broms though, wish I had taken the plunge!

They can be tricky... I wish I knew how many I've killed over the years, but it would probably depress me because of how much money I spent! :)

very nice. I too have a couple of late bloomers. no blooms yet, but they're coming.

The pink one, is a vanda chulita. Took 3 attempts to bloom. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with the plant, because every spike would grow all mutated like. I'm waiting for my Roberts delight ink blue, vasco pine river, doritis, carmela, and hopefully another new little vanda. It's spike has been stunted for a while now from the weather shift.

Nothing happens fast w/ chams (except their tongue), and especially orchids. Its a fun waiting process if you have patience. :rolleyes:

Beautiful!!! Orchids are one of my favorties. I can never keep them alive. I don't get it. Nice to know about the shower though. I don't have a green thumb. :( Lol

My second hobby as well. i had to scale down my collection to just a few since i am in an apartment at the moment. I had around 300 at one time.

I have grown a few of the catergories. cool growers in my basement under lights.

intermediates and warm growers in most rooms of the house :)

I don't have much of a green thumb in anything else.... I've tried growing basics, rosemary and oregano and manage to kill them all. I tried to purposely kill my thornless blackberry bush for two years now cause it attracts apple aphids and I've had those dang aphids kill my orchids before.

Don't feel too bad... It's been an expensive hobby... Everything I've learned is from trial and error! Some were cheap orchids I killed, some were very high dollar.
I used to be into bonsais too but I quickly got out of that... Too much tedious work.

Orchids are as addicting as Chams and as varied. For almost every climate there is an orchid. I have learned that I don't have the dedication for the intermediate to cool orchids. If I can't grow them outside all year, I don't buy them anymore. I used to have hundreds but now I'm probably down to seventy five to one hundred.

Here are a couple shots

Back
Top Bottom