My Nosy had an odd laying cycle

PandoraChams

My Nosy female laid a clutch of 15 eggs on Thanksgiving Day. However since she had not been bred (and she still under a year old) they were infertile..
Today she laid 7 eggs..and its been less than 2 months. She seems fine and looks normal..not dehyrated. However if she has retained eggs it still might be too early to see a problem
She had been going down to the bottom of her cage for a couple days however she didnt look like she was big enough to deliver eggs, but because of her behavior I put a laying tub in and by the next morning she had climbed down, dug a fairly large tunnel and stayed in it all day. Since the sand was pretty cold and she seemed exhausted and had finally stuck her head out of her cave at the end of the day, I removed her to a branch and offered her water.
When I checked the tub, I found 7 eggs which I put into my incubator since she was finally bred awhile back.
I put the tub back in the cage, but she has ignored it. She does not look uncomfortable, weak, nervous and she is eating and pooping.
Can anyone explain, why the two close clutches..and what to anticipate in potential problems because of this.
Thanks in advance all sharing all your experiences and expertise.
Jenifer

Really?

Your right in the fact that I forgot to mention that a month after she laid her first batch of eggs, I put her in with her Nosy B mate for a couple hours and they did mate. I wanted to make sure she had sperm in her before she began to form eggs again. I put these eggs in an incubator. I have hatched Veiled babies previously.
I was sincere in asking for information but feel that the singular response which was posted here was irritable and condesending instead of simply asking for clarification. I was not asking about the eggs whether they were fertile but about the fact that she laid so few and that it had only been such a short time since she laid previous.. and should I be concerned.
I am not sure i will ever come back and ask for advice here if I only get antagonist feedback. No need for any further responses. Thanks..

Your right in the fact that I forgot to mention that a month after she laid her first batch of eggs, I put her in with her Nosy B mate for a couple hours and they did mate. I wanted to make sure she had sperm in her before she began to form eggs again. I put these eggs in an incubator. I have hatched Veiled babies previously.
I was sincere in asking for information but feel that the singular response which was posted here was irritable and condesending instead of simply asking for clarification. I was not asking about the eggs whether they were fertile but about the fact that she laid so few and that it had only been such a short time since she laid previous.. and should I be concerned.
I am not sure i will ever come back and ask for advice here if I only get antagonist feedback. No need for any further responses. Thanks..

Calm down buddy. More questions must be asked if you indeed want your answers. If you don't need help, you wouldn't have ever posted, so why get mad at your advice givers. Everyone gets mad so quickly these days...

are you freaking kidding me!? Someone asked for clarification and you say they're being rude? People seriously need to grow a thicker skin. It's not all about you, you're going to be offended once in a while. DEAL WITH IT. You don't know the tone they intended in the first place.

No need to flame the poor woman. Anyways this forum is very helpful and very nice to newcomers. There is a lot of experienced owners that will help you. Unfortunately I know nothing of breeding but people will be getting home from work soon and I'm sure you will get the help that you need.

Jewells, Carl is a great guy I'm sure he was just replying quickly to get some additional clarification and didn't mean anything negatively.

As for your question, she laid on Nov 28 and infertile clutch. So she could have been receptive to breeding as early as 2 weeks after or on Dec 12. From that date most likely she would have laid a clutch 25-30 days after so around the week of January 5-11. So if she mated around Dec 12 your timing makes sense.

As for the amount, I would assume she would have laid more but maybe that is all she had developed. My only concern is you removed her after she came out of her hole and not after she finished burying her eggs. I would guess she laid all of them prior to coming out of the hole but it could be possible she didn't lay all of them at that point. You can try to feel her belly and see if you can feel any eggs but without actually going to get x-rays it will be hard to tell if she still has some more in there. Hope this helps!

If you are trying to keep her clutches down (by feeding less and keeping cooler temps) they often will have smaller clutches. My smallest clutch was only 12 or so eggs but she was mated. It's possible that it is all she had to lay, but like NHenn, I am concerned about her being removed too early. Did she come out of the hole or did you take her out once she stuck her head out? If it's the latter I would be even more concerned as she could have been trying to lay more as she was taken out.

Back
Top Bottom