my next chameleon venture.

Curlytails

Established Member
i have recently lost my veiled chameleon Reggie and was told by a fellow member to the chameleon hobby earlier than i planned as i am so enthusiastic about it. i just wanted to know what species i could get into that are slightly more challenging. thank you for your contributions,
curly.

Try an oustalets or a gracilior or a Jackson. There are quite a few others you can look into, but those are a little easier to get and not super difficult. By Jacksoni, I mean Triceros jacksoni jacksoni. Not the common xanthic Jacksons although they are kinda cool too.

Try an oustalets or a gracilior or a Jackson. There are quite a few others you can look into, but those are a little easier to get and not super difficult. By Jacksoni, I mean Triceros jacksoni jacksoni. Not the common xanthic Jacksons although they are kinda cool too.
i might have to go with a couple of jacksons for my future reptile room. get a small population going in the uk. there are barely any around out here. is breeding them difficult?

i have recently lost my veiled chameleon Reggie and was told by a fellow member to the chameleon hobby earlier than i planned as i am so enthusiastic about it. i just wanted to know what species i could get into that are slightly more challenging. thank you for your contributions,
curly.
I agree with the enthusiasm part, I can tell you enjoy it but why would you want to get a Cham that is more difficult to care for when you just lost your veiled?

There is a guy on the chams for sale forum that has tjj's for 125.00. That's a good price. The mother is wild caught and came in gravid.

I agree with the enthusiasm part, I can tell you enjoy it but why would you want to get a Cham that is more difficult to care for when you just lost your veiled?
i lost my veiled to a genetic issue i couldnt do anything about. as far as i know my husbandry was perfect.i just want something more exotic. i have loads of time on my hands anyway so i am very attentive to my animals needs. i can preform certain vet practices like fecal tests and parasite med dosing myself and i partly want to get a different species that is rare as i want a larger availability for fellow hobbyists in the uk and i want the animals they purchase to be as heterozygous as possible.

There is a guy on the chams for sale forum that has tjj's for 125.00. That's a good price. The mother is wild caught and came in gravid.
i dont want to get an animal shipped. i have a couple of places which i can get first gen cb babies at from different parents so there is genetic variation. im gonna have to do tons of research:)

Looking at your other posts, you never really mention what problem other than eye issues, I didnt see any health form filled out, or pictures of your set up. I dont mean to be a jerk, I know you cared about your cham and I'm sure it's not fun being grilled when an animal dies. But to me it's a little bit strange the next thing you did was make a post blaming genetics without any proof that's what killed your animal. Jacksons have survived much longer in the wild in Hawaii as others have mentioned, long enough to reproduce. I'm not saying inbreeding is a good thing, but I have a feeling lack of genetic diversity isn't the cause of death. It comes off a little as a cop out.

I agree with @Scottsquatch those are some good species to try.

If you dont mind me asking, what genetic issue killed your cham?
an eye defect that i couldnt figure out. they would go glassy and even glaze over. i thought it was an eye infection and treated him but his reflexes slowed and he didnt react to environmental ttiggers which gave me the idea that it is a genetic brain defect. he was always kinda "slow" anyway. it got worse as he got older. i think it was some sort of muscular dystrophy as he got thinner even when he used to eat like a champ and his muscle tone started to disappear and his tounge didnt really fire properly. i thought it was an eye problem again and treated with vit a and it didnt seem tto work and as time passed his health got worse. it was some sort of muscular dystrophy.

Now I would totally believe you got a chameleon that was in poor health due to prior care, husbandry whether by the seller or buyer seems to be the cause of death 99% of the time on these forums.

Looking at your other posts, you never really mention what problem other than eye issues, I didnt see any health form filled out, or pictures of your set up. I dont mean to be a jerk, I know you cared about your cham and I'm sure it's not fun being grilled when an animal dies. But to me it's a little bit strange the next thing you did was make a post blaming genetics without any proof that's what killed your animal. Jacksons have survived much longer in the wild in Hawaii as others have mentioned, long enough to reproduce. I'm not saying inbreeding is a good thing, but I have a feeling lack of genetic diversity isn't the cause of death. It comes off a little as a cop out.
point definately taken!:) i completely understand what you mean and i dont take any offence!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male veiled chameleon. passed away at almost 20months of age if the birth date of the animal was correct.
Handling - only a couple of times in his lifetime.
Feeding - locusts supplemented with silkworms waxworms and morios. i used LoD but then switched up to a 3 part schedule very early on.
Supplements - zoo med calcium and exo terra multi vit and exo terra d3
Watering - hand misting for about 1 and a half mins to 2 mins at a time. i usually measured mistings im mls rather than time. about 450mls at a time
Fecal Description - white urates and solid excrement. no undigested insects visible. has been tested on 2 occasions for parasites.
History - sold by a breeder to a local reptile store which is very highly regarded

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 2x2x4 reptibreeze
Lighting - 5.0 arcadia and 12.0 arcadia t8s were both tried out at different times to try to combat the eye issue. i thought the light might of been to intense.
Temperature - basking at 87f controlled by a dimming thermostat and ambient temp 73f.
Humidity - 35 to 40% sometimes a little lower. goes highrr after regular mistings
Plants - plastic originally then switched to a large pothos
Placement - in a quiet-ish location with small amounts of foot traffic and it was elevated by putting it ip on a table. in a corner to cover two sides
Location - uk

Back
Top Bottom