My new verrucosus won't eat :(

Stallingskj

Hi I've had my verrucosus chameleon about five days and have yet to see him eat. He drinks water and constantly stays under the UVB lamp. The humidity is 52% and the temperature is 77 degrees In his cage. Any suggestions as to why he won't eat or another option? Thank you! :)

It can take quite some time for chameleons to settle in to their new place and feel comfortable enough to eat. However, to make sure there is nothing else that could be an issue, it would be helpful if you filled out the questions in this link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/. Just copy and paste into your reply and answer the questions.

Is he an adult or baby/juvi? The reason I ask a healthy adult can go weeks without eating. I took in a panther who was about 3 1/2/-4 yrs old at the time. He drank plenty but did not eat for 11 days straight. There could also be something wrong with him or your set up.

If you haven't already, hang some horn, silk, and super worms on the screen so they crawl up toward him.

Nick

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -Verrucosus,male,1 yr old. only had him five days
Handling - Out about two times a day not very long
Feeding - feed him crickets, at the most five but hes not eating yet.
Supplements - No supplements yet hes not really eating anything
Watering -Misting about four times a day and a dripper that drips about every ten sec. He drinks all the time

Cage Info:
Cage Type -Screen cage its 18x18x36
Temperature -77 degrees usually
Humidity - 52%
Placement - Upstairs on a dresser, very private
Location - North Carolina
Current Problem - Havent noticed him eating

Hes only a year old so I guess hes still a juvi ? He drinks a lot and he seems ok the colors are still beautiful we just havent had him long and havent noticed him eating yet...

Ok thank you! That care sheet really helped a lot. Its hard to search websites for exactly what you need to take care of your chameleon. Do you suggest a certain lamp or bulb? I believe we just have the standard heat lamp for now. Again Thank You!

Ok thank you! That care sheet really helped a lot. Its hard to search websites for exactly what you need to take care of your chameleon. Do you suggest a certain lamp or bulb? I believe we just have the standard heat lamp for now. Again Thank You!

Just a normal 75 watt bulb from Wal-Mart will do the trick.

-Chase

Back
Top Bottom