My New Updated Enclosure!

Using zip ties to build a frame work can allow someone to add height for horizontal branches. Really important for the cham that the enclosure be as natural as possible. Adding the shelving does not do this. It uses valuable space and since chameleons do not walk flat footed the shelves do nothing.
I agree with having the enclosure as natural as possible all I was saying is that it is a good step in the right direction. They may not have all the tools and supplies in the reach at the moment and It may have just been a temporary support for the branches. I’m not an expert, I was just putting my opinion in.

The only problem with this forum is, some of you criticize without even giving a solution to the problem, and just stating the problem. Which can be discouraging to new members. For expample, instead of using the shelves you could use zip ties or certain types of wiring to weave through the screen and hold branches in place.

The only problem with this forum is, some of you criticize without even giving a solution to the problem, and just stating the problem. Which can be discouraging to new members. For expample, instead of using the shelves you could use zip ties or certain types of wiring to weave through the screen and hold branches in place.
I understand your point. But there are many many threads that can be searched to find out how to do anything that a person may want to know. If they want to know specifics they can ask... But just using the search function gives many resources. Or reading through the pinned enclosure thread.

We can only do so much. We can not teach every single aspect which is why many of us refer people to resources like the husbandry program at the chameleon academy website. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

For those that want to know how to correct something we help them. Which we did in this members last thread. They did a husbandry form. It was responded to with not only what needed to be corrected but how.

But I have found that if we do not clearly state when something should not be used people go on using it... This is after being here for 2 years and helping in many many threads.

I understand your point. But there are many many threads that can be searched to find out how to do anything that a person may want to know. If they want to know specifics they can ask... But just using the search function gives many resources. Or reading through the pinned enclosure thread.

We can only do so much. We can not teach every single aspect which is why many of us refer people to resources like the husbandry program at the chameleon academy website. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

For those that want to know how to correct something we help them. Which we did in this members last thread. They did a husbandry form. It was responded to with not only what needed to be corrected but how.

But I have found that if we do not clearly state when something should not be used people go on using it... This is after being here for 2 years and helping in many many threads.
I agree with you Beman! I was not trying to put you down in any way because you have always been helpful to me! I just have read through many forums and have seen people leave because of how others talked to them and made them feel stupid in the forums. I am obviously not an expert, and I do not know as much as you but feelings wise it is upsetting to be called out and then not even be told a solution for the problem. I was not specifically directing this to you because you always give good solutions. But as you said, there are many forums that we can read through that help without getting a direct answer from a member.

I agree with you Beman! I was not trying to put you down in any way because you have always been helpful to me! I just have read through many forums and have seen people leave because of how others talked to them and made them feel stupid in the forums. I am obviously not an expert, and I do not know as much as you but feelings wise it is upsetting to be called out and then not even be told a solution for the problem. I was not specifically directing this to you because you always give good solutions. But as you said, there are many forums that we can read through that help without getting a direct answer from a member.
I did not take it that way at all hun. Most people in this forum are willing to share their information. I tend to wait until I see an eagerness to learn so that my time is not wasted and efforts are not ignored. And I am one of the first people to jump if I see a member being treated rudely. It is not what I want to see happen to anyone here.

I did not take it that way at all hun. Most people in this forum are willing to share their information. I tend to wait until I see an eagerness to learn so that my time is not wasted and efforts are not ignored. And I am one of the first people to jump if I see a member being treated rudely. It is not what I want to see happen to anyone here.
Yes I know that you are always one to defend because I probably would’ve left by the things some people said to me when I first joined, but you made me feel welcome and wanted so I thank you for that. :)

Yes its positive move in the right direction. My comments are not meant to be argumental but constructive. Not everyone can afford a dragon strand I'm just trying to show that with imagination and other members ideas obstacles can be overcome. And the member could have asked for ideas if unsure to stablely support plants climbing points or whatever. But this does not matter progress is progress

I cannot comment on other threads but I have read through this one and no one has critized anything just their opinions and have given advice to solutions

I cannot comment on other threads but I have read through this one and no one has critized anything just their opinions and have given advice to solutions
No one had criticized I didn’t say they did, I have just seen on other forums where they have.

That’s all I was saying, it is a step in a good direction. It isn’t perfect but not everyone knows every single way to get branches to stay up inside a screen enclosure. And the shelves were that persons idea to do that, it isn’t harming the Cham, and you all gave your feedback of why they aren’t adequate and I just put my feedback as to why I understand it. Like you all say “it’s a learning process”
I completely agree and used the shelves as stability and a way to add height and depth to my enclosure. Once I figure out how to mount my heavy plants then I’ll take the shelves out. But otherwise I can tell he likes it. Does anyone struggling with there chams trying to eat rocks? I have covered my plants with rocks so that he can’t eat the dirt and now he try’s to eat the rocks so I covered them in plastic wrap. Any ideas how to get him to stop and prevent it?

I completely agree and used the shelves as stability and a way to add height and depth to my enclosure. Once I figure out how to mount my heavy plants then I’ll take the shelves out. But otherwise I can tell he likes it. Does anyone struggling with there chams trying to eat rocks? I have covered my plants with rocks so that he can’t eat the dirt and now he try’s to eat the rocks so I covered them in plastic wrap. Any ideas how to get him to stop and prevent it?
I'm not to sure about him eating rocks but for hanging up plants and sticks i would get dragon strand ledges they are reallllly useful when it comes to hanging up plants

Make sure the rocks are big enough... If he is actively trying to eat them you need 1-2 inch size stones.

You could also use fiberglass window screen. I would be hesitant to use the plastic wrap. If he managed to get a piece off and ingest it that would be a serious impaction risk.
dragon ledges are wonderful take a look at this https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/

Back
Top Bottom