My new setup

Alright, I just don't want you to make the same mistakes I did. You seem pretty adamant on your set-up. So I wish you nothing but the best.

i dont mean to sound mean but if you actually read anything on here your set up probably wouldnt be how it is. i probably wouldnt ask question if you arent going to take the answers people give you - i dont recall you asking any questions directly on this thread but posting your set up is essentially an open invitation for suggestions, which you dont really seem to be open to.

that being said, it does LOOK nice!

do you have herptivite? if not and you are sticking with the rep cal regimen you should get a jar of herptivite.

good luck with everything. the set up really does look nice.

My only concern is about the moss. I had a pygmy that had it caught in her throat, but luckily I was there to pull it out. It could have easily gone wrong. I'm not going to b*tch about the soil though, as I think it's better for humidity when using glass. JMO!

Also, I'd put more foliage up top, but then you'd have to make sure the basking area isn't too hot.

I'm not going to comment on the temps because I've never kept a veiled, but I have to admit the moss is really freaking me out. The soil is easier to clean without it (poop, dead feeders), and once you have cleaned out the visible stuff you can turn the soil and pack it down again. Just what I do here for some of my chams and our geckos.

i dont mean to sound mean but if you actually read anything on here your set up probably wouldnt be how it is. i probably wouldnt ask question if you arent going to take the answers people give you - i dont recall you asking any questions directly on this thread but posting your set up is essentially an open invitation for suggestions, which you dont really seem to be open to.

that being said, it does LOOK nice!

do you have herptivite? if not and you are sticking with the rep cal regimen you should get a jar of herptivite.

good luck with everything. the set up really does look nice.

I have reptivite, which i guess is the same thing?

and i did take suggestions, such as adjusting the basking temperature as DavidBuchan mentioned :]

My only concern is about the moss. I had a pygmy that had it caught in her throat, but luckily I was there to pull it out. It could have easily gone wrong. I'm not going to b*tch about the soil though, as I think it's better for humidity when using glass. JMO!

Also, I'd put more foliage up top, but then you'd have to make sure the basking area isn't too hot.

I'm not going to comment on the temps because I've never kept a veiled, but I have to admit the moss is really freaking me out. The soil is easier to clean without it (poop, dead feeders), and once you have cleaned out the visible stuff you can turn the soil and pack it down again. Just what I do here for some of my chams and our geckos.

Wow, thats pretty scary. Will remove the moss then 0.0

I have reptivite, which i guess is the same thing?

and i did take suggestions, such as adjusting the basking temperature as DavidBuchan mentioned :]

Honestly, veileds are pretty tolerant of varying temps. Although the temps would be the least of my worries if I had the set up you have. JMO

Honestly, veileds are pretty tolerant of varying temps. The temps would be the least of my worries if I had the set up you have. JMO

Well, i just removed the moss. So thats out of the way. I really dont have any more room to plant anything. I guess with the pictures it looks like a have a ton of room in the front of the enclosure.. but its very limited. Should i just wait for the pothos to grow out?

leave room for the pothos to grow, but get some fake plants and get some bamboo sticks, cut them so they fit nice and snug across your cage and put them at different levels, then drape some plants and vines over the bamboo. Chameleons regulate their body temp by going to different levels of the cage.

leave room for the pothos to grow, but get some fake plants and get some bamboo sticks, cut them so they fit nice and snug across your cage and put them at different levels, then drape some plants and vines over the bamboo. Chameleons regulate their body temp by going to different levels of the cage.

Should i be worried about the white clumps of styrofoam (or whatever it is) that came in the plants original soil?

Yeah, I'd pick out what you can. Mix up the soil, then pick some more out. I have a couple here and there in some of my pots, and my chameleon doesn't bother with them. Maybe others would shoot at something that doesn't move, but mine is pretty lazy.

BTW, thanks for getting rid of the moss. :)
You can lay a few sticks or big leaves on the bottom if it would make it more asthetically pleasing for you. That's what I have on my pygmy's soil. For other chams I've just left it bare.

Leave lots of room for the pothos though, and be prepared to trim it -- grows like a weed, but I love it!!

Need a good little ficus or umbrella plant. It needs to be able to hide.

Thanks for the suggestion :D

Really appreciate the tips.

Here is a little update on what it looks like..

After removing most of the white things, I started to cover a majority of the soil with river rocks for safety and will add the rest of the rocks to the back of her enclosure tomorrow. Trying to cover most little holes and cracks where feeders will try and hide.
I added a few small umbrella plants from my front yard, with roots attached (cleaned it of course)

She's very happy and has been climbing not stop with her new plants :]

Im going to find a few taller umbrella plants tomorrow to add to the right side of the enclosure... as well as some more sticks hehe

photo.JPG

let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for the suggestion :D

Really appreciate the tips.

Here is a little update on what it looks like..

After removing most of the white things, I started to cover a majority of the soil with river rocks for safety and will add the rest of the rocks to the back of her enclosure tomorrow. Trying to cover most little holes and cracks where feeders will try and hide.
I added a few small umbrella plants from my front yard, with roots attached (cleaned it of course)

She's very happy and has been climbing not stop with her new plants :]

Im going to find a few taller umbrella plants tomorrow to add to the right side of the enclosure... as well as some more sticks hehe

photo.JPG

let me know your thoughts.

this is starting to look really good! im sure your cham will be happy with it. i agree with what you said about getting taller umbrella plants though, chameleons love to climb and it will also provide different levels of heat for your chameleon to chose from.

Again, it's looking better already, but it does look like you still have room for some more small branches (at least a couple of diagonal 'highways' would be great). They would be best at the size just big enough for her to get her tiny feet round :)

Last edited:
Again, it's looking better already, but it does look like you still have room for some more small branches (at least a couple of diagonal 'highways' would be great). They would be best at the size just big enough for her to get her tiny feet round :)

Thanks for the feedback David.

Heres an update of some touches ive made today to her enclosure. She seems to love it. Shes always moving and climbing now :]

photo-1.jpeg

It was feeding time for her, so thats what the plastic cup is.

Back
Top Bottom