My new Panther girl! What locale is she?

Saochameleon1023

IMG_2084.jpg
IMG_2090.JPG
Hey guys!

New to this forum and new to chameleon owning in general, just wanted to post my first pic of my Panther, her name is Jupiter!

Now I was wondering (after all my intense research on these awesome reptiles) what do you guys think her locale or type of Panther is? For me, it's a toss up between Tamatave and Nosy Bohara, but I'm definitely leaning towards Tamatave because of all the colors she already displays at such a young age (she's about 5 and half months old).

Would love to hear some opinions!

Its really hard to say, because many female panthers look similar with their pink color. Where did you get her from? If you got her from a breeder they should be able to tell you.

I (somewhat shamefully) got her from a store, but only because the guy who worked in the reptile section REALLY knew his stuff, and had been the one taking care of her for a couple of months, and she appeared and acts extremely healthy.

I know pet stores are frowned upon, but there was something about her I couldn't pass up on.

So sadly, no I don't have any breeding information and whatnot, just wanted to get some more experienced opinions about the locale, thanks for the input!

She is mostly orange and a light yellow/white color but when she darkens up a bit, she displays all sorts of awesome turquoise and blue around her eyes and face and front legs.

That just seemed more Tamatave to me than Nosy Bohara because I read somewhere that Boharas are the least colorful out of the Panthers.

Yeah I thought Nosy Be too, I know it's probably the most common, I just have this feeling she's not.

Either way, doesn't make a huge difference unless I'm breeding, which I don't plan to do. Thanks again!

I really have no idea as it is a female. But can I just say she looks amazing! I mean she has so many colors and looks very healthy! Good luck with her :)

Congrats! Beautiful! Welcome! Most pet stores sells ambilobes. So that is probably what she is. Her facial features makes me lean to Nosy Be though.

Ok, on a serious note! She is big enough and old enough (she is likely quite a bit older than 5 months) that she could become gravid any day! Please set up a lay bin for her and keep it ready! You do not want her to get egg bound!

Best of luck
And once again, welcome here!

Congrats! Beautiful! Welcome! Most pet stores sells ambilobes. So that is probably what she is. Her facial features makes me lean to Nosy Be though.

Ok, on a serious note! She is big enough and old enough (she is likely quite a bit older than 5 months) that she could become gravid any day! Please set up a lay bin for her and keep it ready! You do not want her to get egg bound!

Best of luck
And once again, welcome here!
Thank you! I did figure she was older than that, she definitely looks bigger than 5 months, and I was gonna get her laying bin ready within the next few days!

Any tips on this? I've ready a good mixture of playsand and organic soil is the best and her cage isn't really large enough to provide a fullsized laying bin inside of the cage (Repti-Breeze medium). Should I set it up outside and wait for gravid colors and restlessness and just pop her in when the time comes? I also have a hibiscus plant that has at least 12 inches of firm soil but I'm not sure the pot size is big enough for her to lay in (I've just heard some chameleons will lay in their plant). Thanks!

As a chameleon breeder I spent a lot of time helping people and reading about bad outcomes and how to prevent them! Someone here on the forums recently lost (she died) a chameleon when she got tangled in the roots of a plant in her cage as she dug to lay her eggs. Other people have had tunnels dug by the female colapse and suffocating her. Yet others move the female from her familiar surroundings in to a "laying bin" and in doing so cuse distress to the female causing her to get egg bound and thus causing her death!

Here is what I do. Put enough rocks (big enough that the chameleon can not move it) all around the surface around plants so she can not lay there. Have my laying medeum such that no water comes out when I take a hand full and squeeze hard. Make sure the mix stays moist or tunnels can colapse. Take a hand full of laying medeum and squeeze it hard. When you release it should keep the shape it was squeezed in to and it should take a little effort to let it crumble apart again.

I use plastic buckets that are about a foot deep as a lay bin and I have a branch or vine hanging in to the bucket so the female can get in and out of the bucket with ease.

Hope this helps!

As a chameleon breeder I spent a lot of time helping people and reading about bad outcomes and how to prevent them! Someone here on the forums recently lost (she died) a chameleon when she got tangled in the roots of a plant in her cage as she dug to lay her eggs. Other people have had tunnels dug by the female colapse and suffocating her. Yet others move the female from her familiar surroundings in to a "laying bin" and in doing so cuse distress to the female causing her to get egg bound and thus causing her death!

Here is what I do. Put enough rocks (big enough that the chameleon can not move it) all around the surface around plants so she can not lay there. Have my laying medeum such that no water comes out when I take a hand full and squeeze hard. Make sure the mix stays moist or tunnels can colapse. Take a hand full of laying medeum and squeeze it hard. When you release it should keep the shape it was squeezed in to and it should take a little effort to let it crumble apart again.

I use plastic buckets that are about a foot deep as a lay bin and I have a branch or vine hanging in to the bucket so the female can get in and out of the bucket with ease.

Hope this helps!
What do I do if something that size won't fit into her enclosure? I don't have the extra money right now to buy a larger cage because I just bought and setup the one she's in.

My suggestions are what is optimal, works and has the chameleons best interest at heart! You have the freedom of choice, a beautiful, healthy looking chameleon (from my perspective a miracle since she comes from a petstore! You got lucky or she has issues that has not been discovered yet!) and a lot of research that you realy should do and important choices to make! I have been keeping and breeding chameleons on and off since the mid 1980's and I read and do research about them nearly every day! Keeping chameleons is expensive and a gigantic responsibility! As for myself, I choose to be responsible with my pets and pour as much money as needed in to them!

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom