My New Panther Chester

DrChesterTheCham

Hey all! So about 2005 is when I got my first Panther and to say the least he was the greatest pet for about 9 years or so. That started my love for caring for chams. Due to moving around and getting set up in life I've been without chams for a few years now. Finally over the past few months I've been setting up to get back Into it and this weekend I finally found the perfect little dude to bring home. So just wanted to pop in and say hello! And get some feedback from the pros and make sure in doing it all correct this time around. I will gladly take all criticism!
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther, about 7 months old and has been in my care for the past few days.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely, he does try to run over and climb on my hands when I'm I'm the cage (wont be in the cage often now, was just getting everything situated)

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Hea currently getting about 4 small hornworms a day and about 6 small crickets

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Flukers calcium w/o D3 daily. With D3 once every other week, and a multivitamin the alternating week.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I must with a pressure mister heavily in the morning and a few times throughout the day, enough to get some water built up on leaves and keep my humidity up, have seen him drink a little here and there, and he also comes up to get some mist when I'm spraying, also have a dripper set up to cascade down the leaves.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Found one solid poop so far, looks normal but no urates with it, so will update when he goes. Not tested for parasites yet

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Hes new so nothing yet
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? XL reptibreeze 2x2x4'

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Have the 18" reptiglow 10.0 and a simple baking bulb. Would like this if I should drop to the 5.0, so many mixed reviews. Lights on at 6am lights off at 6pm

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot ranges from 85-92 farenheit and lower end of cage runs about 75. Temps at night dip to about 68-70. Room temperature is set at 64. I measure all my temp spots with probes

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity ranges from about 60%-90% currently working on raising the humidity I. The entire room so mine doesn't drop so low. Using occasional misting and the assistant of live plants to keep humidity up. Will eventually snag up a fogger set on a timer.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Using a live hibiscus with all natural soil and no pesticide

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Located in my back office that has 0 traffic, no drafts, no vents, no fans. Top of his cage sits about 7.5' off of the ground

• Location - Where are you geographically located? Seattle, Washington
If I missed any info let me know!
IMG_8800.jpg

Currently only issues I am experiencing is hell get really dark in his cage sometimes, wondering if it's just the stress of the new move and new environment.
IMG_8790.jpg

He looks nice and healthy. About the only thing I saw from a quick perusal of your form that I think someone might take as a concern (can't say that I didn't miss anything, but I am sure others might chime in.) was the UVB 10.0 light. Most will suggest using 5.0, but for me personally, I think it's all about how far above the cage the light sits and how much foliage for cover there is for the cham to get out of the light if they want/need.

I love to see people who know what they are doing, or invest in research to find out the right way to provide the best care for their pets, and chams specifically.

Thanks for sharing.

He looks nice and healthy. About the only thing I saw from a quick perusal of your form that I think someone might take as a concern (can't say that I didn't miss anything, but I am sure others might chime in.) was the UVB 10.0 light. Most will suggest using 5.0, but for me personally, I think it's all about how far above the cage the light sits and how much foliage for cover there is for the cham to get out of the light if they want/need.

I love to see people who know what they are doing, or invest in research to find out the right way to provide the best care for their pets, and chams specifically.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the reply! And I thought so about the light as soon as I set it up. He has plenty of shade to escape to if needed, and today he was hanging out a little lower. Will most likely pick up a 5.0 on my way home tomorrow and switch out if needed. I have the zilla T8 lying around, but havent heard very many good things with those.

Agree with Redman, setup looks good and he looks healthy. I would limit the hornworms and use them as a snack and/or for hydration. I'd mix in some dubia roaches and silkworms, gutloading the crickets and dubia's. I've also had luck with gutloading hornworms with Repashy Bug Burger, likely more healthy than the hornworm chow.

A 10.0 can be ok, as long as the levels are at a reasonable range where he basks. In the pictures it looks like the basking branches below the UVB are a decent distance away so a 10.0 may be ok. I highly recommend getting a Solarmeter 6.5 so you can ensure he's not getting over-exposed to UVB (or underexposed) and to allow you to determine when to replace the bulb. Many just say to replace them at 6 months but I don't think this is 100% accurate. I am going on 8 months on my current ZooMed reptisun 5.0 and it is still putting out plenty of UVB, when it begins to go down, I plan to nudge his basking branch up a bit to get the most out of the bulb before replacing.

Also recommend a Mist King starter kit so you can automate your setup...and timers for your lights if you don't have them already. My setup is pretty much automated, just need to clean, fill the mister reservoir, and throw in feeders.

Bump for an update on Chester...at night when hes sleeping hes crazy vibrant and full of colors. As soon as he gets up back to dull. He ate this morning normally and is drinking as we speak. Moving around fine and lively. Am I just over reacting about the colors?
20200120_075207.jpg

Remember, Cham colors are means of communication with other chams, and can be expressions of stress or startle reactions. What I am trying to say, is that I wouldn't worry at all. I have some chams that are so laid back that they never fire up, and the only time they get really bold color is when they see a rival male or a potential mate female. Other than that, they seem happy and healthy and pretty drab.

Think of it like he's hanging out in his apartment, watching cham-tv in sweat pants and a grubby t-shirt. He CAN get all dressed up, he just doesn't see the point. heh

Remember, Cham colors are means of communication with other chams, and can be expressions of stress or startle reactions. What I am trying to say, is that I wouldn't worry at all. I have some chams that are so laid back that they never fire up, and the only time they get really bold color is when they see a rival male or a potential mate female. Other than that, they seem happy and healthy and pretty drab.

Think of it like he's hanging out in his apartment, watching cham-tv in sweat pants and a grubby t-shirt. He CAN get all dressed up, he just doesn't see the point. heh

Thanks! Yeah I'm used to my guys being dull and not firing up but he was DARK this morning. Turns out he just really had to poop. Few hours after waking up he let out the BIGGEST cham turds I have ever seen in my life. After that colored up and started flying around his cage. Guessing he was a bit plugged up. Working out all the kinks of a new cham, my favorite hobby

Back
Top Bottom