My new mist king setup with pics and questions

krknieriem

So I have pulled a late night setting up my chams new setup, he got tired of me and decided to go to bed I hope he isnt too stressed out

link to pics http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n519/Korey_Knieriem/

I started by taking a nightstand off craigslist and cutting the top off for drainage

I then put a drainpan underneath that is bigger than my water reservoir so there is no possibility of it overfilling and put a valve on it for easy drainage into a 5 gallon bucket when its time to empty

The reservoir is kept in my closet with the lid on

My mist intervals are 10 minutes 15 minutes after lights on at 8:15

every 2 hours there is another 5 minute misting

at 8:15 there is another 10 minute misting

at 9:00 is lights out

lights are on a timer as well and after they go off there is a humitifier to provide humidity at night which also is on a timer

Does this sound like a correct setup, this is my first one and I really dont know what the preferred misting schedules should be

The other pic in the collection is my food bowl, a half gallon milk jug with the side cut out and the mesh sand paper that you use on drywall sanding poles so my crickets can climb on the side and my cham can see them and it doesnt hurt his tongue

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks everyone

What kind of chameleon is this? If it is a panther or veiled it seems like a bit too much misting. My panthers get a 20 minute mist about an hour or so after lights on and then a couple of hours before lights out with a supplemental mist mid day for 5 minutes. The humidity in the cham room is high enough that the mist isn't there to maintain humidity, it is there to provide drinking water.

If you have a mountain dwelling species, your misting schedule seems ok... Mountain species need lots of water.

It might be a good idea to let the humidifier keep the room at a moderate level of humidity, no lower than 40% and use live plants to help keep things humid. In winter it might even be a good idea to cover up two maybe three sides of the cage to help keep humidity in the cage. Too much humidity can cause health issues so it's a good idea to find the happy medium.

I would scrap the nighttime misting unless you need to keep the heat in the room cranked over 75 for your own comfort at night. Reason being that the cham's breathing rate slows down at night and less hydration is lost through respiration and it is the best time to let the cage dry out. I would replace it with a longer misting in the morning like 15 minutes and another 15 at around 1pm. Sometimes misting must go for at least 15 minutes to get chams to drink. You can keep the 5 minute bursts (or even just 1-2 minutes) just for extra humidity if you think it is needed but the two 15's will cover the chams hydration (assuming the mist coverage is good and your place not super hot or dry). If the 5 minute bursts are still needed but your drainage can not contain all the water than you may need the humidifier like summoner says.

i cover up three sides with clear acrylic sheets which are velcrod on and with the humidifier running at max its at 44 so thats why im thinking those bursts are necessary. I run a space heater in my room at night so that dries my bedroom out, the humidifier now only runs at night while the misting only takes place during the day, I do have a live split leaf in the enclosure although i probably will be switching it out with a sheflerra since ive read on here they are safe plants for chams

How cool does it get in your room? it is a good idea to let the night time temps drop a bit at night. for a panther it is OK to get down to the lower 60s and be perfectly safe.

I would say it gets down to 70 right now, the real reason im running a space heater is our heat exchanger is cracked and until the guy comes out and fixes it, it is the only source of heat in my house here in Maryland.......lol

i cover up three sides with clear acrylic sheets which are velcrod on and with the humidifier running at max its at 44 so thats why im thinking those bursts are necessary. I run a space heater in my room at night so that dries my bedroom out, the humidifier now only runs at night while the misting only takes place during the day, I do have a live split leaf in the enclosure although i probably will be switching it out with a sheflerra since ive read on here they are safe plants for chams

try using towels on the sides of your cage instead of the acrylic.
water runs down to the bottom when it hits plastic. with towels, the water stays in place and as it drys out it adds to the humidity.

Harry

try using towels on the sides of your cage instead of the acrylic.
water runs down to the bottom when it hits plastic. with towels, the water stays in place and as it drys out it adds to the humidity.

Harry

I have also seen people use... I think cocofiber? I think it's the stuff they use to line hanging flower pots? I would be a little concerned about a towel if it doesn't dry out completely. It would be a good idea to keep an eye out for mold in either method you use.

Good point on the towel summoner but I think I am going to stick with the acrylic as part of the bennifit of it is its see through so I can still see whats going on on in there

Back
Top Bottom