My new Jackson's Cham won't eat? Am I doing something wrong?

montymontgomery

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson's Chameleon, M, unsure of age (juvenile, 5-6 inches). I got him yesterday.
  • Handling - So far, just to put him in his enclosure. Don't want to stress him out.
  • Feeding - Crickets. I put 5 in his enclosure this morning. So far, 7 every other day is my plan. Gut-loading with carrots, collared greens, kale, mustard greens, papaya.
  • Supplements - Zoo med calcium without d3
  • Watering - Misting with water bottle 6-7 times per day. Mist until leaves are dripping. I saw my cham open his mouth one time after I misted, but unfortunately, I have yet to see him actually drink. Then again, I'm giving him his space.
  • Fecal Description - I haven't seen him defecate yet. I'm keeping my eye out for it.
  • History - The pet store in which I obtained him from had an ignorant employee who told me it was OK to handle him daily (no!) as she was doing so (ah!)
  • Additional Info - He seems to have been shedding right before I purchased him, may be affecting his moods

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 36" Tall, 16" diameter (circle enclosure)
  • Lighting - Enclosure is outside, receiving healthy amounts of sun throughout the day but always has shaded spots
  • Temperature - Temperatures range from 90-70 morning-night.
  • Humidity - Humidity is not impressive, measured at 50-60 after every misting session and rapidly declines after the leaves dry due to the fact that his enclosure is outside. Measured with a hydrometer. Currently reads 60. The humidity in Tallahassee FL currently reads 90
  • Plants - Mix of live and fake. One fake branch & vine. One Philodendron Cordatum & stick from outside.
  • Placement - Cage is on a table & is on my balcony. I have some cabbage palms in front of my balcony, im on the third story, & as it is blooming right now there are bumblebees surrounding the trees probably about 5-6 feet away from his enclosure. They don't seem to bother him one bit.
  • Location - Tallahassee, Fl.
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG

Current Problem - Montgomery (my cham) was brought into my home yesterday morning. He was transferred from a small pet store box enclosure to my cage & is clearly very stressed out. Like I said, an employee would handle him daily. They told me he eats from their hands, but I wanted him to at least eat from a small cup I had fastened to the wall of his enclosure (to minimize interaction for right now.) I'll include pictures. Yesterday I placed 5 crickets in his cup, he didn't even notice them. I have the cup fastened under a branch (not sure if its yet his favorite) he did not go near the cup. He is quite inactive. I'm sure thats because he's stressed, but its concerning. He moves like once every 10 minutes & certainly hasn't been all over the enclosure yet. His eyes didn't close until last night when he went to sleep, so he doesn't appear to be sick. Today, I managed to feed him 2 crickets by hand. He would not eat more. The process was as follows: he freaked out when he saw me (AKA he moved! away from me slowly) but then saw the food and looked at it with interest. I moved my tweezers, his eyes moved with them. It took a minute before he shot his tongue out. The second cricket I dropped in front of him. He took longer, 2 mins, to shoot his tongue out. I tried for a 3rd, he just looked at the cricket and did nothing for over 5 mins. I dropped it in the cage for him to hunt, he watched it crawl away & did nothing. I mean, if he wont eat the food right in front of him, how is he to rely on a feeding cup? 2 crickets in 2 days, I'm a little scared. Is this a matter of stress, size of the crickets, (they're small crickets) or is my care flawed? Humidity too low? Too hot, too cold? I feel as if I'm doing things right but this little man is super inactive.

Give him a day or two, I have Jacksons (40), they stress easily, and when stressed don't eat well. The temp in the day (90) is way too hot, may have something to do with eating, they like 82-85 basking spot, but really need the temp to be mid 70's. Try an ice bottle (wrapped in a towel) some where in the mid cage (in foliage). If possible use a hose and fogging nozzle and mist heavily every hour or so when the temp is over 80.

Give him a day or two, I have Jacksons (40), they stress easily, and when stressed don't eat well. The temp in the day (90) is way too hot, may have something to do with eating, they like 82-85 basking spot, but really need the temp to be mid 70's. Try an ice bottle (wrapped in a towel) some where in the mid cage (in foliage). If possible use a hose and fogging nozzle and mist heavily every hour or so when the temp is over 80.

I have a monsoon that I'm hooking up, if I set that to heavy misting hourly + add that frozen water bottle, I can keep him outside? The temperatures should cool down as we approach October. I can bring him in if you suggest, I just really wanted him outside to experience those benefits. BTW thanks a ton for your response :)

I use a zoo med repti fogger attached to a hygrotherm to make sure that the humidity constantly stays around 77, then a repti rain mister that goes off every 3 hrs for 45 seconds, that ensures that he is getting his water (about to upgrade to a mistking which i would recommend if you have the money) but i also live in arkansas and raise him inside so humidity for you in florida will be different and this may not work for you

I use a zoo med repti fogger attached to a hygrotherm to make sure that the humidity constantly stays around 77, then a repti rain mister that goes off every 3 hrs for 45 seconds, that ensures that he is getting his water (about to upgrade to a mistking which i would recommend if you have the money) but i also live in arkansas and raise him inside so humidity for you in florida will be different and this may not work for you

I actually do have the repti fogger, but as the wind blows the fog away, it doesn't keep the cage very hydrated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'll definitely be upgrading to the mist king when I can afford it. Upper 70s mid/low 80s is my humidity goal. Thank you :D

This is my first cham and i am understanding that they need everything to be just right so i understand the frustration when it isnt, my head has been swelling the past few days because of things not being just how i want them for him. Best of luck to you my friend

This is my first cham and i am understanding that they need everything to be just right so i understand the frustration when it isnt, my head has been swelling the past few days because of things not being just how i want them for him. Best of luck to you my friend

UGH! It's so stressful!! :eek: I'm so glad to have found this forum because it's keeping me sane, seeing all the other cham lovers overthinking and spazzing as much as I am. I hope your guy/gal is doing well

When keeping jackson's outside an automatic misting system is essential imo. 45 second mistings are no where near enough time. My minimum misting times outside are 20 minutes each time and during hot weather my Misters run as much as possible. 90 degrees is at the upper threshold for Jackson's. Be very careful.

When keeping jackson's outside an automatic misting system is essential imo. 45 second mistings are no where near enough time. My minimum misting times outside are 20 minutes each time and during hot weather my Misters run as much as possible. 90 degrees is at the upper threshold for Jackson's. Be very careful.

I HEAVILY mist during the times when the time of the day permits up to 90° weather. I've got a monsoon headed my way (saving for a mist king) and so until it arrives I'm emptying like 2 full water bottles hydrating the cage throughout the day. During 90's he's in the shade. Thank goodness "Florida fall" weather is approaching

That's good. I have a Jacksons that lives outside 24/7 all year round. I adjust my misting based on ambient temps. 30's low and 90's high.

Our lows get into the 40's, do you think my jackson would be able to handle something like that? I was just going to bring his cage in for the winter months

Back
Top Bottom